1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 vs KS2 Directed Time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by JenLouBro, Mar 16, 2019.

1. JenLouBro

JenLouBro New commenter

The KS1 staff at the primary school where I work receive 10 extra minutes of lunch break than those working in KS2. Obviously this adds up to a lot of extra free time over the terms! The headteacher says it is due to directed time? Does this happen in other schools? I have tried to search online for government guidance but not found anything useful so far. Thank you.

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

It happens in my school. Unless the result is that KS2 staff are being directed for more than 1265 hours then I don't think there is anything you can do.

Piranha and JenLouBro like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't think there's anything to be gained in this sort of argument. You'll just get into "but we have more setting up to do" "but we have more marking" "but we have to spend more time talking to parents at hometime" "but..."
    If you're overloaded, raise that, but don't bicker about fairness. Nothing is ever completely fair. You can always ask whether it would be possible for you to move to KS1 at some point...

Kartoshka, JenLouBro and Piranha like this.
  4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We have the same, but the KS1 staff say they have to start work earlier in the mornings to set up.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

What outcome would you like? If enough people make a fuss, they might find a way of making KS1 teachers work an extra 10 minutes each day, but would that really do you any good? I doubt if they will reduce your hours.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

We have this...KS1 finish 15 mins earlier every day and also have an afternoon break, so adds up to 30 mins per day extra teaching in KS2 - that’s 2.5hrs per week! I think KS2 might get extra PPA however...even if we didn’t I wouldn’t move to ks1 anyway!!

7. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Have a thought for teachers who work in the Nursery.... 30 hrs of directed teaching a week with the children as some full 30hrs, other either 15hrs morning or afternoon. On top of that the additional same as the ks1 and ks2 teachers whole school directed time of staff meetings, parents evenings (usually the longest as over 60 parents to talk to).