1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ks1 times tables

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

How do u teach times tables in ks1. Having previously taught in yr6 I know the problems when children don't know them so want to start now I'm in year 2 of getting them to know them. But how?

2. rainbowdrop86

How do u teach times tables in ks1. Having previously taught in yr6 I know the problems when children don't know them so want to start now I'm in year 2 of getting them to know them. But how?

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I haven't got as far as times tables yet, however what I have been doing is making sure they can count in steps of 2, 5 and 10 forwards and backwards. We do it daily, and vary it and play all sorts of games. Then when we move on to multiplication, they will all already know 3 before they even start. I also encourage them to use their fingers, so that when I eventually say 3 x 2, they will know to count in steps of 2 and put up 3 fingers to find out the answer if that makes sense. And when we move on to larger times tables, I will repeat the process again.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I use Percy Parker and do a daily 50 questions (random mixed order of whichever table the child is learning) against the clock. I begin with 10X then 2X then 5X once the children can answer 50 in 2 mins they move onto the next table and once they have the 2,5 &10 they can choose which to learn next.

5. rainbowdrop86

Ok that makes me feel a bit better.we count in 2,5,10's too, just feel some of them are ready for more

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yeah and by this point in the year, most of mine are ready now. I'm keeping it going for the least able, and am starting to extend to counting in 4s now. Then i'm hoping to start multiplication in a couple of weeks and we SHOULD hit the ground running! lol. I too have a KS2 background and know how important it is that they know which is why i'm trying to push it quite hard.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mine can all pretty much count in 2s, 5s and 10s to as far as one would want to and most are beginning to count in 3s to 30. They use their fingers to count up if I ask what is 7x5, pretty much none of them 'know' the answer as yet, but can count up to work it out.

They know how this links to multiplication and we sing songs that have both the 1x2=2 type thing and the 2,4,6,8 parts.

I use this DVD, though it was much cheaper in the dark ages when I bought it!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Funky-Times-Tables/dp/1905509669/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326311324&sr=8-4

8. Msz

9. rainbowdrop86

Thanks for those msz

10. Msz

Last year most of my Y2s knew all their tables and the related division facts

11. rainbowdrop86

Jeez that has scared the **** out of me!!!

12. Msz

5 mins a day ... and a competitive class

13. Out of the ark music have a songbook called I Love Maths which has lots of Maths songs for KS1 including a few for x tables. You can listen on line - great resource for consolidation.

14. rainbowdrop86

Used the Percy Parker app today on my iPad under the visualised and me and the kids love it!

15. On the whole, my Y2s can count in 2s/5s/10s, understand the link to times tables by multiplication, and can work out some times tables by counting in 2s/5s/10s but dont necessarily know them off the top of their head. I think understanding the link, and the process is the most important part and 'rote learning' the times tables is a bit of an added extra.
    Ill be honest, I dont know many times tables off by heart either - I never learnt that way, and if someone asks me 7 x 4 I answer almost instantly but I still count in 4s seven times. But I can work out mathematical problems mentally, which I think is why I am not so 'hot' on rote learning, and more focussed on understanding the actual methods.

16. I take the same approach as you Impulce. We have taken ages to ensure they really understand what they are doing when they are multiplying and counting in 2s etc. I don't think they need to do rote learning of them at this stage, as their understanding and things like their number bonds to 10 and 20 take priority for me, as well as them learning their doubles etc. I know with my daughters they do tons on it in KS2 and she is now in Year 4 and learning them really fast, really getting the inverse etc. I think the foundations of the understanding are the things we really need to focus on in Year 2, rather than the rote learning of them.

17. Msz

Sorry but how long does it actually take to teach that 3 lots of 2 is the same as 2+2+2 or
    certainly not a whole year

18. You may be able to answer 7 x 4 quickly - but you're using more working memory than somebody who knows it instantly.

Working memory is very limited. So the complexity of calculations you can do in your head will be less than if you'd memorised your times tables.

19. And surely you should know that if you're multiplying by 4 you "double and double again". All my Year 3s always knew that.

20. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I think there are some extremely able mathematicians who will never,despite very effort in the world, know all their timestables facts off pat. But, I don't think that would be a reason for not trying.
    I do think the teacher who was describing where her year 4 child has got to is not expecting enough either.