1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Testing 2011

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Surfingthewaves, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hello all
    Apologies in advance for my ignorance but can someone please clarify the following for me:
    Is it statutory for Year 2 children to complete a national curriculum test paper in reading, writing and maths before the end of Year 2 ?
    I had thought that getting the children to do test papers was just to assist teachers in their teacher assessment level at the end of the year.
    Surfing the Waves

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

No, it isn't. National Curriculum Tests (NCTs, but nicknamed "sats" for whatever reason) are only compulsory at the end of KS 2.

3. Assessment & Reporting Arrangements 2011 gives the definitive answer which is as follows:-
    4.2 Use of tasks and tests
    <font size="1" face="Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light">The statutory national curriculum tasks and tests must be administered to all eligible children who are working at level 1 or above in reading, writing and mathematics. The role of the tasks and tests is to help inform the final teacher assessment judgement reported for each child at the end of key stage 1. There is no requirement to report separately the levels obtained from the tasks and tests.

</font>