1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ks1 teaching ideas

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, May 11, 2008.

1. I appreciate this isn't exactly what you're after, but as a secondary teacher I find Nrich great for inspiration when I feel my lessons are getting a bit stale.

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

3. KS 1 is the time to learn practical problem-solving with structured materials. This will help children to see solutions in their mind's eye before acting them out and to develop their concept of numbers.

Early numeracy is an example of the most basic concept fomation: Concept means 'taken together', e.g. bundle five and learn a word and a symbol for it. We soon learn to trust that 5 and 5 is ten without counting.

Teachers who rely heavily on rote-counting and ordering printed number symbols in the early years should not complain that children are at a loss later on when it comes to using/applying/problem-solving.

This is a serious gap which could be easily plugged if we offered more practical problem-solving and visual strategy games at KS 1. This research should be heeded in teacher training and national strategy development such as the Williams Review.

https://www.tes.co.uk/resources/Resource.aspx?resourceId=1...
    https://www.tes.co.uk/resources/Resource.aspx?resourceId=5...

4. Thanks for that info. Numeracy should be fun and practical, not boring rote-learning!

5. [​IMG]

6. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Welcome to the Maths forum. Glad you found the advice useful; I take it you are a KS1 teacher. The thread was a very old one though from 2008 so some of the posters on it are no longer around.

I think that you will find more up to date thinking recognises the relevance of a huge variety of different teaching and learning methods. Different teaching methodologies are often useful for different areas on Mathematics including numeracy. Similarly different teaching and learning methodologies are useful at the different stages of learning each topic.

One of the problems with trying to move Mathematics teaching forward are the number of so called experts who push one method of teaching and are critical of all other methods. The more enlightened are now promoting the idea that one model doesn't fit all, with even rote learning having a place in effective teaching and learning (obviously not the boring kind!)

Enjoy teaching your mini mathematicians.

7. Errrr ..... don't bother, mmmmmaths

8. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

rebeccahanson:
    Thanks for that info. Numeracy should be fun and practical, not boring rote-learning!

I'm wondering what you mean by 'boring rote-learning'. Would you think writing pages of sums, eg 4+3, 6+3, 7+3 is 'boring rote-learning'? Because this is invaluable for young children. Once they have the concept of addition, eg buttons, counters, 'fun' activities, they need to simply 'know' that 4+3 is 7, to do 14+4, 40+30 etc later.
    Sadly, children do not find this sort of work 'boring' until adults suggest to them it is. Even in KS1 there can be lots of satisfaction in working through 'sums' carefully, getting them right, and the feeling of improvement through practice. A lot of maths difficulties stem simply from getting insufficient practice (or 'drill'!) in primary school.
    The aversion of KS1 teachers to what THEY consider as 'boring rote-learning' and the feeling that everything should be 'fun, fun, fun!' for children unfortunately results in the Year Fours I see who look blank when asked '4+3' and have to count on their fingers (or cast eyes upward and nod three times, slowly...).
    Children who are denied this solid practice, who are denied what is so often denigrated as 'rote-learning' in the foundation years, will not find maths 'fun' later on!