1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 teachers and/or parents probably, how do I...?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Aug 13, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

1. Make play dough?

We have plasticine, but I want some softer playdough stuff as well. Ideally a really simple recipe that I can show the children and then they can make their own whenever they want it. Coloured would be great.

2. Colour raw rice/pasta?

To put in sensory tubs and use for pictures mainly. I can see adding food colouring would work, but won't the rice/pasta go soggy?

Any ideas gratefully received. Thank you!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I make mine in the microwave
    Play Dough
    Ingredients
    1 cup of plain flour
    1 cup of water
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    half a cup of salt
    food colouring (optional)
    Method - Microwave
    Place all the ingredients in a plastic container and cook for one and a half minutes in a microwave. Stir the mixture and microwave again for one minute.
    you can add just about anything to change the texture or add spice, coffee or aromatherapy oils

3. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Re - dyeing pasta; on pinterest I found a 'recipe' for it that uses vinegar and food colouring.
    http://www.thecraftyclassroom.com/CECraftRecipesDyedNoodles.html

4. I now use brusho with a bit of water for deeper colours on rice and pasta. As other poster seal in a bag and shake then leave overnight to dry. I have found the new natural food colourings do not take that well especially when using the very cheap pasta.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Brilliant all, thank you.

Microwave might work if I put a card with the bits with times on. Then whoever is making the play dough can go as a pair to the staff room and ask whoever answers to microwave it by handing them the card.

Might need to check with H&S lady though.

6. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Hi again minnieminx
    Just wanted to say that mine works fine without boiling water - I've always used cold.
    Anyway, try it and see what works best for you! Enjoy [​IMG]

7. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

I mixed a tiny amount of ready mixed paint to rice and 5 years later I still have some of it! I kept it in the boxed with lids you get washing machine tablets in and we put in on trays to write words/names etc... with fingers or paint brushes. Each pot had different colours. I've spend ages making playdough in saucepans, nightmare to wash but my baby group uses a recipe using boiled water and it's just as good - must be the same as some given above.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you...maybe I'll have different 'recipes' on my investigation table for a while and we'll find the best one for our class.

Paint on rice sounds nice and easy...

Off to check the link now...thank you.