1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Speaking and Listening assessments

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by alexlemonde, Dec 6, 2012.

1. The infant school where I work is looking to change the way we assess pupils' speaking and listening skills. At present we are using a very generalised 'best fit' method according to speaking and listening level descriptors. The problem we are encountering is that most teachers concentrate on the speaking when setting their combined level which therefore does not accurately reflect the listening skills of the children.Other than APP (which we would prefer not to use), does anybody know of, or use, another way of assessing their pupils' speaking and listening skills which provide a more accurate and conclusive way of levelling?I would be very interested to hear from anybody who could help me with this matter and provide examples of speaking and listening assessments they use in their schools. I have included my email address below.Many thanks vespermiller@tiscali.co.uk