1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 - sorting and grouping

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dagnabit, Aug 30, 2011.

1. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Hi guys - what do you use for sorting grouping activities in maths? I have compare bears, a bag of dinosaurs, cotton reels and 2D shapes but I never seem to have enough or they don't provide much of a challenge for the kids who seem to get it quickly. Any ideas? Pound shop variety please (I have scoured the educational resource sites and am gutted by the price of some of the kits available, daylight flippin robbery!!)

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Start an old fashioned button tin (you could ask parents and grandparents to contribute) ..I found one buried in the stock cupboard and got it out for collage and my class couldn't get enough.

3. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I think there might be one in the Art cupboard! Cheers. [​IMG]

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

pebbles and shells from the beach likewise

clothespegs - wooden =plastic =shapes= sizes

5. I cross-curricular it to "our local area" when we group/sort man-made and natural objects. This could change dependent on year group (mine's yr 1) but it could be used in smells they like/don't like...I may have got the wrong idea, but they do sort shapes, just after a while I like to change it and mix it up with geography or science!