1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ks1 short write: awful!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, May 7, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Help, my sats were going so well. First timeinyr2 and they were doing so well until they did the short write. It was like they'd never heard of a character description before. We'd done lots of role play, hot seating, art work before hand, orally coming up with examples to back up opinions etc, but barely any of them used all this in their writing. Haven't even dared look at them properly yet, but even my most able l3 writer started it with once upon a time! Can we redo them? Or does it not matter as its teacher assessment that counts? So gutted, it was all going so well!

2. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Not sure if you can redo them (it's my first year in Y2) but I wouldn't worry as TA is the most improtant, try not to worry! I know exacltly how you feel though as my Year 2s have just completed their riddles short writing task and it was difficult even though their riddle writing was super before half term. Hopefully you'll find the long writing task better and that'll put your mind at rest!!!! Try not to panic, as long as you can prove the kids are the levels you say they are you have nothing to worry about! My class are doing the level 3 reading test next week, I'm dreading it...!!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Surely no one would no if I redid it. Could do some practice again, and choose a new character to describe in a few weeks?

4. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Hi fruitloop, it's my first time in year 2 too and I was told by somebody who visited from county that the teacher assessment was the most important thing. Your children sound exactly like mine. My class always come up with brilliant ideas and then put pencil to paper and disaster strikes!!

5. No, don't even think of re-doing them! You don't have to report these levels, it is your teacher assessment levels that you report so it makes no odds at all that they did badly in general. I'd mark them and move on. I did the maths SATs in February so of course levels were lower, but that was fine by me, I'd done it, noted the common errors, made sure I spent some time teaching those and moved on. Don't worry, just look at the common errors, do some teaching to tackle those things and move on. I've just marked an island adventure story where we did lots of drama, hot seating, discussion etc and quite a few of them didn't even mention an island in their story! To me that is why they agreed to remove the need to level them from the SATs, because they are six/seven and so are very unpredictable. Just be relieved that we don't teach Year 2 in the days when they had to report the levels they got, regardless of how unreliable they were!

6. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Good luck for next week everyone. My class are attempting the character description next week and I agree they are so unpredictable at this age.
    We have to give TA and test levels to LA.

7. Are you sure Jo Jo, as the requirement is only to report TA to the LA.

8. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Yes our forms have space for both. So don't want my levels to be too widly different. We are being moderated and the moderators will see both. You just want the children to show what they are apable of.

9. We report both too x

10. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Glad it's not just me.

11. but surely it still doesn't matter if they are widly different, because this is the reason the reporting requirements were changed, because the tests can be so unreliable. Our LA emphasises that they should only be seen as a very small part of the assessment jigsaw and we should use the tests to be as useful as possible to us, so to do them early to use as diagnostics etc if we find that the most useful. You will have lots of evidence for their TA, so I would take the approach that this is the important part. This is the bit the moderators will be focussing on, as this is the part where you have levelled them across a wide variety of pieces etc. I would imagine the moderators are used to seeing levels vary a lot from the SATs test to the ongoing work, but that's tests for you.
    Whenmy children did the maths SATs in February they gave results at least a sub level higher than my levels and in many cases 2 sub levels higher. The tests gives them a level 2 even if they have not understood great chunks of the test, whereas they wouldn't get this using APP. As long as you can show why you have levelled the children in the way you have, I wouldn't worry about how they performed in the tests, which are nothing like anything else they have to do.

12. zannar

zannar New commenter

If it's any consolation, some of my YR3/4 optionals were awful compared to what they do day in and day out.
    They have been used to assessments and usually do well but when the optional papers came along it was a different story!
    1 paper at 1 moment in time means very little.

13. Completely agree with 'inky. If you try to inflate the results by redoing a test, it will only cause problems further down the line. Unrealistic expectations are then set for child to achieve in KS2. If children are not working at the expected level, then provide intervention and extra support. This might not meet YOUR targets but it will help the children achieve THEIR targets.

14. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

It shouldnt matter if your SATS and TA differ even if it is a big gap, as long as you can justify your levels with other evidence of ind work.