1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATS

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amaryllis2, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I hate to ask this question but are people doing much SATS practise with their Y2 classes? Last year my head told me not to bother too much about achieving high levels, however I was criticised when I didnt get many. What do others do?

2. I hate to ask this question but are people doing much SATS practise with their Y2 classes? Last year my head told me not to bother too much about achieving high levels, however I was criticised when I didnt get many. What do others do?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The levels should be decided on your continual teacher assessment and the tests only to confirm your levels (so shouldn't make a difference).
    I will go over an old maths/reading paper just so they are familiar with the format but that's it.

4. What she say.

5. As Msz said, the levels are decided on ongoing teacher assessment throughout the year. The level achieved in the KS1 tests don't really hold any weight at all. We use them to inform a tiny bit of our teacher assessment.
    The only 'practice' we do is a maths paper and a reading paper a while before just so they are familiar with the format (just like Msz!)

6. * says.

7. Ditto.

8. Surely it should be whether they have progressed from when they came in anyway. High levels shouldn't be as relevant as improved levels (I know some LAs / Heads don't see it this way though).

9. I wish my school saw it like this. My kids are low ability and need to to make 3 sub levels progress to be in line with y2 expectations and all they seem to be bothered about is what they will get in the sats. We have been sending reading comprehension out as homework and most of the parents are doing them! Others are complaining the work is too hard for them and asking why I'm giving it to them. One of the parents even asked me why I was making her child take 'exams'. As iif! Of course I just want to give the chn work they cant do and stress myself out. Every child in my class has made progress since September but this isn't good enough apparently! I'm getting so stressed out with it. Some of my Y2 couldn't even tell me what 10+2 was today! Sorry for the rant just had a very stressful day.