1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SAT'S-what to do with the other children?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by midget_gem74, May 5, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm an NQT in year 2 and just sorting my schedule for SAT's over the next three weeks. I was just wondering what other people did with the children who were not taking part in that particular test at the time, for example the children who weren't taking the level 3 numeracy. We are limited for space at school so the only real option is to take them into the hall or outside. Would it be acceptable for my TA to take them into the hall or outside to play games and do activities?

Thanks

2. Hi, I'm an NQT in year 2 and just sorting my schedule for SAT's over the next three weeks. I was just wondering what other people did with the children who were not taking part in that particular test at the time, for example the children who weren't taking the level 3 numeracy. We are limited for space at school so the only real option is to take them into the hall or outside. Would it be acceptable for my TA to take them into the hall or outside to play games and do activities?

Thanks

3. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

We started our SAT's this week and there were so many groupings! children below level 1, children doing level 1 tasks, level 2 tests and then those that did the level 3 test!
    We have an area outside the classroom and I sent them with the TA and used a carousel of activities (didn't always work!).Children read with a partner, looked for wow words in books, completed some maths challenges ( colour coded activities on laminated cards) write speech bubbles and some wanted to finish of their previous work. In D & T we have been making puppets so many decided to carry on with that.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you not run the level 2 and 3 tests at the same time? Children only do one or the other.

Then you only have to contend with the level 1 children, of which there shouldn't be many. That way your TA can easily do something quiet with them anywhere at all. Maybe get some of the tasks done.

5. Tricky to run the L2 and L3 at the same time, if you mean in the same class, as they would have different intros, practice questions etc. Also for maths the L2 can have more things available for L2 than 3, so can get confusing for them. What we do for maths and reading is for both Y2 teachers to do the bulk of the children doing L2 (in maths one of us has the ones who need the paper read as they go along and one doing the ones who don't need this). A TA then has the L3s in one room (nightmare for space for us, so usually whilst another class it out swimming or something) and we borrow another TA to have the L1s. Not possible to do the tasks at this time with the L1s as there are too many children and they tend to be the ones with more behaviour issues. Ours often have to be taken outside as there is generally nowhere to put them. It is a tricky thing to organise, but we try to take advantage of days when other classes are out on trips, so we have more options. We do schedule our SATs a long way ahead though, to do this.
    Thinking of next year, not sure how we will easily fit in all the Year 1s who might fail the phonics test and will need to re-do it in Year 2 as well as doing the SATs (if they run as the pilot did with only 32% passing in Year 1), as we find it quite tricky to sort the SATs timetable as it is and I think we have enough on our hands with these. I am hoping that a much higher percentage will actually pass the real Y1 phonics test, so we won't have too many to do.