1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs - time for marking?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, a NQT question - should I be getting time for marking the papers? If so, how much would you recommend? Also, I've read so many different and conflicting views about this, but have decided to put aside the week before the May half-term for SATs - can anyone see an obvious problem with this proposed time? Thanks for ANY advice!

2. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, a NQT question - should I be getting time for marking the papers? If so, how much would you recommend? Also, I've read so many different and conflicting views about this, but have decided to put aside the week before the May half-term for SATs - can anyone see an obvious problem with this proposed time? Thanks for ANY advice!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Yes, this is what my HT was saying, but I have been asked to see what time others are given. Am asking within the school and other colleagues, but wondered if anyone on the forum could give me an indication of how long it actually takes. Thanks.

5. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

To be honest I never used to find it took long to mark. I used to get the maths and spelling done while the children were doing the other tests. The reading and Writing ones used to be marked in a staff meeting by all the staff, the same for practise SATs for yr 6.

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Its years since I taught Y2 but there did used to be funded supply then. I think it was 2-3 days. I spread this out over a week ie mornings to administer the tests. Maths didnt take long to mark an hour tops. Reading teacher assessment you do as you go along. Same with W children for maths assessment. It was writing that took the time, but I know now we do it as a KS1 and lit coord team together during a staff meeting time.

7. We don't get any time. Apparently it wouldn't be fair as other years have assessments to mark too. Boo!

8. Msz

but legally you are entitled to time as the school has money allocated to it's budget to pay for cover... point out to the head that the ARA says you should get time.

9. Msz

I find it takes quite a time to mark the two pieces of writing - maths spelling reading comprehension doesn't take long because it's right or wrong but writing is another matter.
    My head usually gives a couple of afternoons to administer the reading tasks and another 2 days for marking .

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Maths and reading take no time at all, spelling the same. You can probably bribe a year 3 teacher to get their class to mark the spelling for you.

Writing, not sure what we will do in our school. We use APP across the the school to assess writing and no-one does the writing SATs apart from year 6. I assume year 2 have to do it (doesn't mean they have in the past) and we are being moderated so will do it in some way this year. No idea about cover for marking though.

Why would I need cover to administer the tests to my class? Am I missing something?

11. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. So far, two days for marking seems good advice to me!! From what I have read, the reading task takes some time, as you are administering it on a 1:1 basis, so cover is needed for the rest of the class. Does anyone have any advice about timings, as in, would you give the Writing test before break and a maths test after break? Or can anyone share how they usually spread out doing what when? Thanks.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We do the reading test in two sessions, with a short break between. Definitely no more than one overall test in a day.

Forgot about the reading tasks for those not doing the test, yes I will need cover for that. Probably ought to start asking in my school as well.

13. Like Minnieminx, I usually spread them out a bit more, over a couple of weeks, and only one in any day. You also need to think about what the others will be doing when reading/ maths tests are taking place that they aren't doing - it will depend how many you have taking each test. As we have 2 classes with Y2s in we swap children about between us, but if it was only a small group perhaps you would need to take them out to do the test, or get a TA to take them, or do level 2 and 3 tests at the same time and send any W/ level 1s to another class.
    Msz: I have tried blinding my head with evidence but she won't budge on it! She is going to have to give me time to do my Y1 phonics checks, though she won't like forking out for cover. (Mixed 1/2 class, extra fun!)

14. Msz

she is also receiving extra funding to administer the phonics check

15. We were told, on LA training for it, that there is no extra funding for phonics check. However, there is no getting round this one for her - it has to be done 1-1 in a quiet room!

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Why not suggest that the head covers the class? I find that soon gets them ringing the supply agency!