1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs...teaching/testing timetable

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, May 7, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

AAArrrgggghhhh!!! How is it May already???? How???

Don't tell me I shouldn't be teaching test strategies to 7 year olds, I KNOW!

But I have recent acquired some responsibility for a class who, despite my best efforts, have not yet seen a reading comprehension (other than the practice one where mostly they just sat and cried apparently!) nor know how to write a riddle! Nor have they seen the testbase maths questions that should have been used in some plenaries all year. And we are being moderated on the 25th and there is no reliable teacher assessment for the class at all. And yes I am in a flap!

Soooo, to ensure they don't just sit and cry all the way through the compulsory tests, they need to learn that tests aren't scary and can actually be great. Also they need knowledge and confidence in knowing what's what. My class will benefit from the practice/suffer the same timetable just because they'll have to!

Anyway, excuses over, can anyone experienced, and confident that they know what's what and how to interpret the rules, have a look at my timetable to let me know if it is ok? I know it is a big favour and I'm probably being daft...but hey ho.

Tuesday (8th) Recap/teach riddle writing

Thursday Teach reading comp. skills from testbase (short lesson)

Friday Finish magic object story writing
    Monday (14th) Paired comprehension work, Level 2

Tuesday Teacher to teach level 3 comp, level 2 independent

Wednesday Teacher to edit comp work with level 2, level 3 independent

Thursday Short writing test (riddle)

Friday Long writing test (story)
    Monday (21st) Reading test (One before and one after break)

Tuesday Spelling test

I am teaching the riddle and story in the week before doing the test, but not within a week. Is that allowed? I can't see how to do it otherwise because I'll need the weekend to do the marking.

Maths is fine, am confident with that.

Thank you.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

AAArrrgggghhhh!!! How is it May already???? How???

Don't tell me I shouldn't be teaching test strategies to 7 year olds, I KNOW!

But I have recent acquired some responsibility for a class who, despite my best efforts, have not yet seen a reading comprehension (other than the practice one where mostly they just sat and cried apparently!) nor know how to write a riddle! Nor have they seen the testbase maths questions that should have been used in some plenaries all year. And we are being moderated on the 25th and there is no reliable teacher assessment for the class at all. And yes I am in a flap!

Soooo, to ensure they don't just sit and cry all the way through the compulsory tests, they need to learn that tests aren't scary and can actually be great. Also they need knowledge and confidence in knowing what's what. My class will benefit from the practice/suffer the same timetable just because they'll have to!

Anyway, excuses over, can anyone experienced, and confident that they know what's what and how to interpret the rules, have a look at my timetable to let me know if it is ok? I know it is a big favour and I'm probably being daft...but hey ho.

Tuesday (8th) Recap/teach riddle writing

Thursday Teach reading comp. skills from testbase (short lesson)

Friday Finish magic object story writing
    Monday (14th) Paired comprehension work, Level 2

Tuesday Teacher to teach level 3 comp, level 2 independent

Wednesday Teacher to edit comp work with level 2, level 3 independent

Thursday Short writing test (riddle)

Friday Long writing test (story)
    Monday (21st) Reading test (One before and one after break)

Tuesday Spelling test

I am teaching the riddle and story in the week before doing the test, but not within a week. Is that allowed? I can't see how to do it otherwise because I'll need the weekend to do the marking.

Maths is fine, am confident with that.

Thank you.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

To be honest with you Minnie, if it were my class and they hadn't seen a paper I wouldn't be too worried about them crying. Whenever i've done them i've gone down the "ooh isn't this fun!" route and hammed it up to be something a bit exciting. I don't think anyone in my class would cry and they didn't when we first did one back in Janurary. I would try and give them some test base questions before hand though as the language can be a nightmare for some of them, particularly potential level 3s.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Oh also - what about the 'beat that maths' and mental maths in minutes as a way in? Less intense than a test paper?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My class don't cry either. My class love the things, but they have done a million comprehensions in all kinds of forms before. From testbase you can print the fiction and non-fiction separately, so shouldn't be too bad. And I'm going to do them in a lesson where I team teach, so can excite and enthuse the children.

Maths is fine, we have done lots of 'beat maths' and the other class have done a couple. Might use those maths things someone put up the other day as well. Definitely not doing test papers as such at all.

My main legal worry is the writing. Although there is a week or more between teaching and testing, they are in consecutive weeks. Someone posted on your thread they do this, but am I actually allowed to?

Other than that my main worry is how to teach a class that I only team teach a few times a week to do everything they need to be able to do in not very long!

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well have they got up to date APP grids? If it were me, i'd split the class into groups according to what they need on their APP grids and teach that way via a carousel or something depending on how many adults you have access to. So if you know half the class desperately need to use more imaginative vocab, take them and send the rest to do something independently like adding punctuation into sentences or something. Or look at the bigger areas and teach the whole class to do it. I'd try and focus in on the areas they need to achieve the best they can. Which is pretty much what i've been trying to do with my class for the last month.

I'm confused about this whole leaving a week thing, was waiting to see what the general consensus is in that other thread. I was under the impression that if you taught riddles in the week before, there should be a week before they take the test, but not sure if that covers consecutive weeks... it's so confusing!

7. From what I understand of it, you're just meant to provide some distance between your teaching the genre and them being tested on it - I think your Friday to Friday does that!? Blimey . . .some of them are six. You could convince them they'd not had their dinner yet! Good luck . . sounds a nightmare xx

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That's another headache for another day! I can only do one stress at a time and am contending with two as it is at the moment. Sooooo am leaving everything else to worry itself.

What you say is more or less what I do in class. Teach them what they need to know next and move them on. But this isn't about my class, just a parallel one. I only team teach for part of the week and have some recent responsibility for their attainment. So, as time is short, I thought I'd focus on how to access a test because without that their skills will be of no use.

I'm confused about the week thing as well. I am leaving a full week, but...

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL this made me really smile and think I'm worrying too much. Thank you and yes you're right, I could!
    Tell me about it...road sweeping is looking ever more appealing as a career choice, once it stops raining of course.

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

That's why I wondered if APP grids were in existence - to give you a starting point, but as they aren't couldn't you just focus on the main areas, so sentence structure, connectives, adjectives, etc then for the higher ones include some aspects of level 3 that you'd expect to work. Also, it's a bit harsh but i'd give them an independent write in test conditions so that it's not such a surprise when they come to do it. Make it comfortable and take them to the park for half an hour or something then get them to write about it in silence. Otherwise the change in tables & silence can overwhelm some and they'll just sit there frustrating you, where as if they've done it before it won't be such a surprise.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you lilipad, for all your help, especially when you are felling a little panicky about your own class. Much appreciated.
    Oh they'll be fine with this...they have done lots of independent writing in more or less silence recently. It's just the teaching and learning they have missed out on! Hence the team teaching now.

12. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Lol you're welcome... I don't feel so bad now, just accepting that what will be will be, and the sats aren't the be all and end all of my assessments! Just trying to go with the flow :)