1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs start date

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I know there isn't a specific time period for KS 1 SATs but am panicking as I haven't administered the tests as yet!
    Just wondering those that have done them how did you organise the tests, i.e. which test did you do first etc. I'm using the 2009 papers and the maths especially the level 3 paper looks very difficult there are a few things I haven't covered from this test.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You have ages yet. I'm starting the week after next and spreading them out over about 4 weeks.

I wouldn't be doing them until after half term really, but we are being moderated and it is my first time in year 2, so I want test marks as confirmation of my TA.

Lots of good ideas and advice here:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/566218.aspx?PageIndex=1

3. You can do them whenever you like as long as you have done them by the end of June. I wouldn't worry about waiting because they haven't covered things. Your teacher assessment is what counts. We did our maths SATs in February to use it as a diagnostic (our local authority recommends this approach), so it really doesn't matter when or how you do it (as long as you stick to the rules when doing them). Your teacher assessment is what counts and gets reported. My approach is to let it encroach on their learning time as little as possible, so I don't do practice papers, we just do it and move on. I find the maths SATs tests give results that are one or two levels above the APP assessments, so I tend to ignore the maths results in the main! It makes you realise the ridiculousness of testing them in this way at this age!
    Schools seem to approach Y2 SATs very differently, so work out a system that works for you, but don't worry about them.

4. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thank you both! I have recently completed my NQT year and have never seen the tests being administered in school. I am also being moderated end of May which doesn't help.
    I'm thinking of doing spellings next week with the reading tasks for level 1 children. Followed by maths and then writing.

5. When are you being moderated? I'm also being moderated in Lancashire but can't find the date when it happens. Have asked my head a number of times when it is but I'm still waiting for him to get back to me...

6. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm being moderated end of May, the moderator agreed the date with me in February. I'm sure you'd have a meeting before they turn up to moderate. My moderator asked me to choose two children from each level for reading, writing and maths and to show evidence that they are the levels I have selected.