1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs requirements + assessment - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by treespirit, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am an NQT applying for jobs. One of the questions is about KS1 SATs requirements? I have actually helped administer the tests but am not sure exactly what this is referring to.
    Also, exactly what ways are there to assess children when using the curriculum? So far I have used APP, SATs, PIVATS, observation, assessment for learning.
    Are there any other specific ways that you assess and record the assessment of KS1 children in your practice? For e.g. reading tests, I know that there are schemes one can buy in.
    Anyway what do you do? Would be great to share practice!

Cheers x

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Puzzling language in the question you've been asked because it's very strange to see the use of "SATs" alongside relevant terms. (SATs, as "everyone" knows nowadays - or so I'm told - are tests for university entrance and nothing to do with KS1 (or 2 or 3 or 4).

3. KS1 SATs are not a legal requirement, but most schools still use them and they either confirm teacher assessment, or throw a spanner in the works.
    Sometimes children achieve higher than you expected - its then up to the teacher to decide whether they are confident that the child is that level.
    When children achieve below the teacher assessed level - and there is no 'reason' ie a bad time at home that may have affected them during the test - then it is up to the teacher to decide whether they have enough evidence to support their 'higher' teacher assessed level, or whether to go with the SATs level.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What exactly is the question? Does it say 'experience of...' or 'knowledge of...'?

And, though this is a bit of pot calling kettle black, you might want to be a bit less quick to criticise those more experienced than you. It won't make you popular nor get you a job.

5. Please ignore this atrocious advice - KS1 tests are still a legal requirement - see http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/k/assessment%20and%20reporting%20arrangements%20-%20key%20stage%201.pdf
    (KS1 2012 Assessment and Reporting Arrangements - statutory document)
    For all other teacher assessment schools should be using their own whole school assessment systems - we also use the criterion scale for writing, like mrz above.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

As Feenie says it is a legal requirement for schools to administer the KS1 tasks and tests so please ignore anyone who says otherwise

The statutory National Curriculum tasks and tests must be administered to all eligible
    children
    who are working at level 1 or above in reading, writing and mathematics. Tasks
    and tests are designed to help inform the final teacher assessment judgement reported for
    each child at the end of Key Stage 1.

7. Criticise? That's the problem with typed responses they can be
    interpreted in so many ways- just as I sit here and am having probably
    some of the same ideas about your response you may have been having
    about mine (i.e. was that necessary? [​IMG]). I was not criticising
    Markus at all, at the time in my slightly stressed brain his reponse actually seemed off at a tangent and didn't
    really help as regards my request, hence me genuinely wondering as I
    wrote if he was a primary school teacher. I don't know him and
    have no idea that he prefers SATs to be called by their proper name. I
    happily stand corrected.
    Markus- if I have offended I am sorry,
    of course you know what you are talking about but as I am inexperienced I
    was asking for advice not opinions as I am trying to piece things
    together for this application form and possibly feeling a tad stressed
    about it! However, I would love to hear what you think about these tests
    and KS1 assessment overall, would be interesting.
    Everyone else- many thanks for your responses, has made things a lot clearer.
    x

8. Absolutely.
    I'm sure that's not the case.
    Great.
    Enjoy Christmas - hope your applications go well!

9. Blimey, I do apologise. I honestly didn't think it was a legal requirement. I was told this when I started teaching 3 years ago and have no reason to question it! We have always done them anyway.
    I think I must be confusing the legal requirement to DO them and the legal requirement to REPORT the results/use them as the final level.

10. Nae bother Impulce. Interesting about using it as the final level, I was told at a school I worked in to use teacher assessment overall and that was the final level, and that is what I did and that was used for the data.
    Whodbeateacher- I love your profile name! I have thought this MANY times...if of course that's what you mean, who can tell after all with all this cyberchat!
    Happy solstice and crimble! x

11. I think Impulce was saying that there is no need to use the SATs test levels as the reported levels, which is what you thought too, so hopefully we're all using the same approach on that one.