1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs - quick questions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, May 2, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, A few quick questions from a NQT! After reading all the SAT booklets, I am under the definite impression that I could choose to do the Reading Tasks with my Level 1s and low Level 2s who I don't think will access the Reading Comprehension Tests. Can anybody confirm that this is definitely the case? Also, with the Maths SATs, does anybody know roughly how long it will take to carry out the 1:1 Maths Tasks for Level 1 children? Thank you.

2. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, A few quick questions from a NQT! After reading all the SAT booklets, I am under the definite impression that I could choose to do the Reading Tasks with my Level 1s and low Level 2s who I don't think will access the Reading Comprehension Tests. Can anybody confirm that this is definitely the case? Also, with the Maths SATs, does anybody know roughly how long it will take to carry out the 1:1 Maths Tasks for Level 1 children? Thank you.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

There's something very strange going on if any test booklets for young children have "SAT" on them.
    SATs are test for university entrance. Is somebody having the NQTs on for a joke?

4. Don't worry about Markuss, he has a bee in his bonnet about the technically correct name for the Year 2 tests. Yes, you are right. You do the task with your level 1s and the level 2s that you think would not cope with the written comprehension. From memory I think it takes around 20 minutes to do the maths tasks, but I believe you can do a couple of children at the same time if you think they are at a similar level, but I need to check that bit, as I am not absolutely sure.

5. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Markuss, don't think anyone is having me on, they just seem to be referred to as 'SATs tests' - would you prefer I call them National Curriculum assessments - bit of a mouthful? What do you call them?
    Singup - thank you for the confirmation re. reading papers. I will have another read of the maths - would be great if I could do a few at the same time as I do have 4 at a similar level. Thanks.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

They're National Curriculum Tests. Correct, official and sensible abbreviation is "NCTs".
    SATs are for university entrance.
    Sats were abolished ten years ago.
    No bees. Just simple facts.

7. Sod off Markuss.
    You can do the SATs tests or tasks depending on what you feel best.
    The SATs maths task can usually be completed with 4 children because it involves resources varied 4 different ways labelled "Child 1" etc up to 4.

8. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi Markuss, I'm not trying to be funny, just trying to understand more...You are obviously stating the facts correctly, however, why is it that all teachers, certainly those I have come across, are still calling them SATs? Just curious really...
    Impulse - thanks for information - do you think it should take just 20 minutes even working with a group of 4? I am just trying to get my timings accurate because of cover etc. Thanks.

9. To me its like saying hoover (not for SATs obviously). Not technically correct, but generally accepted. Definitely more important things to get worked up about. I would think it would take a little longer with a group, so maybe allow half an hour. I have a couple who would definitely need to do it on their own as they are so slow etc, so I would group carefully.

10. Also - you are allowed to look at the tests and tasks before you teach them! So just have a look and see how long you think your children will take.
    It took me about 20 minutes per child too, but I did do them 1:1.

11. roise

roise New commenter

We call the them the tests formerly known as SATS as a homage to the artist formerly known as Prince.

12. smiley_scribe

smiley_scribe New commenter

Hiya,
    I did the level 1 maths with groups of 4 and it took about half an hour for the lower ones and about 20 mins for the next group who were on the 1a/2c verge anyway. There were only the twp groups as the rest were level 2s. With regard to the reading, def do the level 1 chn with the reading task but you can also do it with any child (just with the level 2 books) - particularly if you think they have scored differently on the test to how you thought they would. The running record is particularly useful. Hope you manage ok. If you need anything, just ask!!