1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs prep

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gld202, May 1, 2011.

1. gld202

gld202 New commenter

Hi,
    I am new to year 2 this year and have not had much help in terms of what preparation to do for their SATs.
    I'm thinking mainly about the writing as I have a friend in year 2 who I know has already stared using similar books and talk for writing to prepare them for it.
    How much preparation does everyone else do?
    Any help/advice is much appreciated!

2. deanow

deanow New commenter

Hi gld202. Sorry to come back with a list of questions but can you explain what you mean by "using similar books"? Are you using 2009 or 2007? When are the children doing the writing task?

3. I taught one week of the brighton and hove riddle planning just to introduce the idea of riddles. Last week we had a pirate themed week and based our literacy on the magic key stories from oxford reading tree. We talked about settings, problems and resolutions. We orally created stories imagining we had found a mysterious object and it transported us to a new place. This is for the 2007 tasks.

4. gld202

gld202 New commenter

Sorry I didn't explain very well did I. We are doing the 2007 so the riddle and story about a magic pebble. By similar books I mean things like the magic key and the wishing chair - stories where something causes a change to the setting.

5. gld202

gld202 New commenter

Thanks for this. That's the sort of thing I have heard from other people now, so feeling a bit more comfortable with the whole thing! Can I ask people who have been in year 2 for a while - are you given any extra time to mark the SATs? And roughly how long do you think it takes to mark, per child (difficult question I know, I'd just like a rough idea of how much extra work it's going to be!)
    Thanks for your help.

6. We're doing 2009 and have done some prep. But cant really help if you're doing 2007. Have fun.

7. deanow

deanow New commenter

Hi gld202. We're doing 2009 so probably not much help, sorry.

8. gld202

gld202 New commenter

This does help thank you, it is just good to know what everyone else is doing.
    I am in a first school with 3 classes, so I teach all of KS1 on my own so there isn't anybody else doing them!
    I'm hoping to get a chance to moderate with a local school and my head as given me two days to use at some point, either for marking or preparation.
    I'll be pleased when it's over so I can think about how to do it better next year!!
    Thanks for your help.