1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs Nighttime Animals

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daffodil23, Apr 5, 2009.

1. I've just been reading the other posts about SATs and I'm trying to decide the best way of teaching the nightime part. I was thinking of linking it to science and learning about nocturnal animals. Would it be ok to just cover this aspect of nighttime or do I need to look at night time as a whole?
    Part of me thinks it will be better to just do animals and then the children will be quite focussed on this area for their report. But another part of me thinks if I cover lots of aspects of night time they've more to choose from to write about.
    What are other people doing?

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm linking it to our topic (which is growth) and we'll be just looking at the nocturnal animals bit - too much choice will just bewilder my children and I know they won't 'perform' (I hate that word but couldn't think of a better one) as I know they can.
    Just do what you think will be best for your children - each class will be different.

3. crikcrok

crikcrok New commenter

I'm a little bit worried, too. I agree, for lower achievers they won't be able to organise thoughts if they are asked to include too many aspects of 'night-time', although the the task asks for different elements of night-time.I guess that's assessment by outcome for you!
    My Year 2s have just been looking at the local environment as part of their topic. After Easter break I'll extend the science topic to look at variation and I'm going to try and include night-time as an aspect of that, a poster or a leaflet. But is that enough?

Our layered curriculum targetfor writing this half term is based on narrative. I guess I could ignore that and do the Non Chronological Reports unit...what a rebel!

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I teach in a mixed Y1/2 class where my Y2 are generally SEN and working at level 1 for writing. As their teacher I feel that they will be able to write more successfully and in greater detail about 1 area of the night-time than if we look at lots of areas superficially. The more able children will still be able to section their writing eg: a section on owls, one on badgers etc etc

5. crikcrok

crikcrok New commenter

Can anyone recommend any resources for the children to research nocturnal animals?
    Books, videos, websites

6. crikcrok

crikcrok New commenter

Check out this American website
    http://wc006.k12.sd.us/Christiansenw/nocturnal_animals.htm

7. I have decided not to do the long writng task for 09. I am going to the 07 task as fits better with the narrative unit that I am teaching. I did a mini day/night topic around Xmas last year so it would feel like alot of repetition. I will be able to slot it in far easier for next year.

8. I'm doing this task as well, was wondering what teaching I can do to get the children to have some knowledge about night time, I know that I can't teach about non-chronological reports in the week of the writing task but can I teach them about night time animals the same week as doing the writing task? I'm new to Sats so any ideas about what people are going to do and when would be useful.

9. jojoincharge

jojoincharge New commenter

10. Thanks jojoin - super link really useful.

11. hi,
    i am also thinking about KS1 SATs and would love you to send me whatever it is that was really helpful,
    in anticipation
    jane

12. Welshjane - if you're refering to what I found useful was the link posted on page 1 to the devon site that gives more info and ideas for the tasks

13. I ordered resources from KS1resources - some really good sample non chronological reports. you will have to buy them - but they are relatively inexpensive - less than £5.00 and they can be emailed to you.

Literacy matters also has some resources - but not directly relevant to nocturnal animals.

hope that helps

14. Many thanks for the tip about KS1 resources - I hadn't previously known about this site. Resources now bought and stress levels reduced! :)