1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATs - Level 3/ 3b. What do the KS1 SATs paper marking bands equate to?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sharon h, May 29, 2011.

1. If a child has just scored within the level 3 band does that mean I cannot deem them to be a Level 3 because they should be a Level 3b, or do the marking thresholds mean they are a 3b even if they have only just scored a Level 3?
    I feel reluctant to level the children who have just scored a Level 3 as a 2A as they are much better than the 2A children.
    I hope the above makes sense and thank you in advance for your responses.

2. If a child has just scored within the level 3 band does that mean I cannot deem them to be a Level 3 because they should be a Level 3b, or do the marking thresholds mean they are a 3b even if they have only just scored a Level 3?
    I feel reluctant to level the children who have just scored a Level 3 as a 2A as they are much better than the 2A children.
    I hope the above makes sense and thank you in advance for your responses.

3. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

They should be really confident with the level 3 material before you award them a 3. Equally, your 2A children should be secure with the majority of the material at level 2 for a 2a to be given. Otherwise, you'll be setting the poor Y3 teacher up with all kinds of problems. Y6 staff won't thank you either!

4. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

The Y2 teacher in my school doesn't set much store by the Y2 SATs papers - she thinks it's just too easy to get the marks without being really secure.

5. But the SATs in year 2 are just one piece of evidence when 'building a picture' of where a child is. Do you have enough evidence to say that they have been working at a level 3 for a while?

I've never understood the argument for not giving a 3 if it's a 3c but just make sure you have lots of other evidence to back it up. We have to povide evidence to SLT for any 3s we say we have.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

The only "argument" is that, for what seems to be a majority of LA's, a level 3 given at KS1 is assigned 21 APS and progress is measured from there. So Heads, and Yr 6 teachers are just anxious to ensure that the level is a secure 3 to reflect this.

7. Some schooh worry because level 3 at year 2 would be expected to get a 5 at year 6. However many fail to realise that the 2a children are also expected a 5. As others have said the tests are a tiny bit of evidence. In moderation our level 3 children had to be seen to be working at a level 3 in class, regardless of how many marks they got on the paper.

8. Not read the replies as I'm sure it a contentious topic as always. We can't penalise our KS1 kids for the crappy system that equates a 'better than 2a' to a '3b at KS2'. If they score a 3 on the paper, I award a 3. Teacher assessment wise, unless I have lots of evidence supporting that they are a 3c I don't award it. By the start of the summer term at the latest, I start to ensure that I begin to gather evidence for the children that assessments are showing might be a level 3 and teach accordingly.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Err, what?

10. Myself and my year group partner roughly estimated how many marks would be needed for a '3c' '3b' or '3a' on each paper and used that as a guide. We are not allowed at my school to send up anyone who we think is a 3c as a 3 though... we have to put 2a.

11. For what purpose?

12. But surely even full marks on a KS1 Maths SATs paper doesn't equate to a 3a or even a 3b does it?

13. No they don't, which is why I can't understand the need to try and work out some sort of points scheme for them!

14. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

What you say is quite correct! Most of the material being tested on the paper will fall within the level 2. A level 3 implies good knowledge of the level 2 material, NOT secure knowledge of level 3 material.

15. imc

imc

In the VA calculations (as opposed to the CVA) used nationally by DfE there IS an expectation that 2a children reach a level 5. this has been the case for quite a number of years and was based on a standardistaion of what children 'nationally' could achieve. 2a children reaching a 4 (any level 4) will still be counted as having made two levels of progress though. As was mentioned in a previous post - this does seem like a shifting of the goal posts but then we are in education... I can't remember when the goal posts ever stayed still.
    Before the change of government the VA figures and conversions were quite easy to find on the DfE website but a quick look suggests that it has moved. I'm sure someone will be able to track it down somewhere though.

16. It's so frustrating that it seems only in Year 2 that 3c doesn't exist! Sadly we have to work within an unfair system and just "deal with it."