1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 SATS advice please

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by max20, Feb 22, 2018.

1. max20

max20 New commenter

I have returned to year 2 after many years in KS2 and I am trying to get my head around SATS again. I have looked at the guidance but can't seem to find what I need. I have several children who will not be able to access the reading paper at all. I know we can opt them out, and I understand the process, but can they be opted out of reading but still be put in for the maths? Also, are all children required to do both reading papers even if they have barely scored on Paper 1? Many thanks in advance.

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If they are not able to fully access the programme of study, the HT of the school can decide not to enter pupil/s for particular paper/s. Yes, a pupil could sit maths, but not reading, if that is appropriate.

You should read the KS1 ARAs and the Access Arrangements guide below. One would have though your HT would already have provided you with this information...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...sessment_and_Reporting_Arrangements__ARA_.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...e/671090/KS1_access_arrangements_guidance.pdf

3. johnbriggs5

johnbriggs5 New commenter

I believe they can be opted out of one subject and not another. Have you tried putting one of the Reading texts past them? Is reading the text an issue for them or is it the questions?

You'll find all the past SATs papers here.

4. max20

max20 New commenter

Thanks that's really useful. I'm doing a maternity cover and due to meet with head next week but wanted to be sure first - many thanks

5. max20

max20 New commenter

Yes we have done a past paper this week and it is both the reading of the text and the questions. Four children will be opted out of all the papers but I have two who can score on the maths paper as we can read the questions to them but who cannot access the reading paper at all. Thanks for the link and the reply.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Read the guidance and prepare your thoughts but it will be the head’s final decision.

max20 likes this.