1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 sats advice and Year 2 planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kv, Jun 23, 2012.

1. kv

kv

Hi, I am starting a new job next year in Year 2 and having never taught this year before I am starting from scratch again. Could anyone give me an '***' guide to Sats? I know that most of the levels are based on teacher assessment, but I am interested in what the guidelines are about which test papers you use. Am I right in thinking that schools can choose which paper they want to use from past papers? i know when I was on practice a lot of year 2 teachers seemed to be doing nocturnal animals in preparation, whilst other schools do different things, presumably they put that into their planning based on what they knew was in the writing test? I would like to start getting a bit of a long term plan together for literacy etc.. and obviously if I could decide which paper they willl use could plan to do a bit of relevant topic work at the right point in the year? Any advice on how the system works and how it then affects planning etc. would be really gratefully received. Many thanks!

2. Thisis the document to read
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/keystage1/a00198702/key-stage-1-assessment-in-2012

Basically they need to take a maths test or task (level 1 do a task) there is a level 2 paper and a level 3 paper, you would then use this to inform your teacher assessment alongside their work and your knowledge of the child.
    They need to do a spelling test, long and short writing task (this is for level 1, 2 & 3)you would then use this to
    inform your teacher assessment alongside their work and your knowledge
    of the child.
    Theyneed to take a reading test or task (level 1 do a task) level 2 do either the task or level 2 paper there is a level 3 paper, you would then use this to
    inform your teacher assessment alongside their work and your knowledge
    of the child.

This year we could choose between certain papers, the writing was either 2007 or 2009. It tells you what years you can use in the above document. Not sure what years we will be using next year.

Hope this help, if you've got any more questions just ask.

3. kv

kv

Thanks so much that is so helpful. I remember now someone saying about having to use 2007 or 2009 for writing, for the Maths can you pick any past paper? Or do they specify years for that too? I will have a look at that document now!

4. You need to choose from the 2007 and 2009 papers for maths as well. You don't need to do the same English and Maths ones. You can do the papers any time once you have received them. Guidance from our LEA is to consider using some earlier in the year (you order by October and they arrive at beg of Feb) to use as diagnostics. We did this with the maths and this worked well as we used it to help spot gaps and it is early enough in the year to focus on them. I think it works best to spread them out and try and fit them in where they fit with a theme. We did this this year and it worked much better than last year when we did them all in one term.
    One point, you will use an older set of questions for the Level 1 maths task. 2006 is coming to mind, but I'm not positive. Not sure why it's different, but it just is.

5. kv

kv

Thanks do you know when the guidance normally is published, just thinking if we knew for 2013 which papers etc.. then doing long term plans for literacy and maths would be easier as you say could link them to themes across the year. I don't suppose you have any long term planning or an overview for Maths or Literacy that you could share? Any help gratefully received as it is all new to me and you sound like you are very experienced with it all! Thanks so much!

6. I don't imagine the years you choose from will change for next year, as they have been 2007 and 2009 for a few years now. I'm not very experienced really, but went to an LEA course on the Year 2 SATs when I started in Year 2 which was very helpful (I'd recommend it if they are running them now, which of course they are probably not!).
    I don't have long term planning which would be of use as it links to all our themes and is very lengthy, but this is how I did it this year (we are two form entry):
    Feb - 2009 maths papers. Level 2 in both classes with teachers. One classroom had the lower readers in, the other the higher readers, so in one classroom the children did the questions as the teacher read, in the other children went at their own pace, just asking for help with the reading if needed. TA in another room doing the Level 3 paper with the potential Level 3s (not many as pretty early in the year to have many Level 3s). Another borrowed TA had the level 1 children doing some maths games elsewhere. The Level 1 maths task children then did the task across the next few weeks in groups of 2-4 with the TA when we could fit it in easily. I don't do any practice for these tests.
    Spelling test - later March. I don't believe it really makes much odds when you do this as the spellings don't seem to relate to the L&S phases or anything. There are words like 'badge' etc. The whole class does it together and I don't do a practice.
    Riddle (short writing task) - March - to fit in with our Rainforest theme. First we looked at riddles, then created a class riddle about something you would find in the rainforest. They create riddles about insects. A few weeks later they did the Riddles task about four legged animals.
    Amazing Pebble (long writing task) - Early May. We did no special prep for this. We do a version of Big Writing each week, so they are used to writing something in one session which isn't part of our theme. We just did it instead of a normal Big Writing session. We scattered pebbles on the floor and imagined we were in the woods on a pebbly path. I asked them to imagine they noticed a pebble that looked different. They chose a pebble and kept it. I then asked them to imagine it had changed them, or changed where they were and then went straight to writing this.
    Reading Comprehension tests - later May. This is the one thing I do practise with them. I use a couple of old tests in guided reading sessions. We read through together and they talk about the options and verbally give answers etc. I think the layout of the reading tests can be a little confusing, and as you can't help them with the reading (obviously!) they need to be familiar with them. They don't actually do one of the papers before, but are prepared through a couple of guided reads. For the tests, both teachers have the Level 2s in their classrooms. A familiar TA takes the Level 3s to do the Level 3 test elsewhere (usually during Year 6s residential trip time so we can use their classroom). Borrowed TA takes the Level 1s, and those couple of Level 2s who are doing the task instead, (those couple who are borderline, or would panic!) off somewhere else.
    We ask management to give us time out of the classroom to do the one to one Level 1 and Level 2 reading tasks and some time to moderate. Guidance states you should be given time to adminster and mark the tests, but in reality this varies a lot from school to school.
    I give the tests as much notice as I think they deserve. I try and make them interfer with learning as little as possible and by spreading them out the children don't notice them so much. I try and make them as useful as possible.

7. kv

kv

Thanks so much it is really kind of you to give me so much detail and sound advice! Really like your ideas for the pebbles etc.. Aside from SATS are there any themes or books you feel have worked particularly well in year 2 out of interest, when you look at the schemes of work it always seems to be the same old Florence Nightingale and Great Fire stuff!!

8. I was new to year 2 this academic year and simply gave the children the papers that had been sent. They did it the week before june half term. Absolutely no preparation whatsoever. I thought that was the whole point , to give children the opportunity to do a piece of writing independently. I must say mostly they achieved what I had levelled them at. I actually did both The great fire of London and Florence Nightingale despite being told the head hates both. Both were very, very successful, both boys and girls loved both topics. x

9. Someone must have decided which year to order in order for you to have received them though. They are supposed to do the writing independently, but the guidance is specific about what this means. In order for them to write a riddle or non chron report they must already know what these are. The guidance on the Magic Pebble tasks specifically suggests using drama as a stimulus. They are still writing completely independently, but you are helping them to begin to imagine. No ideas are shared, but it is fine and recommended to get their imaginations going by using drama. For the reading comp, the layout is the issue as it is not obvious what they need to tick or do sometimes, as it is unlike anything they have seen before. It makes sense to make sure they know how the layout works as otherwise you are not assessing their ability to read and answer questions, but rather their ability to figure out some quite unusual layout issues. They do the test completely independently and haven't seen that test before. It is important to read the booklet guidance to ensure you are approaching the tasks correctly though. However, it is your teacher assessment, not the test results that count so it all needs keeping in perspective.
    With regards to the themes, we do:
    Heroes and Superheroes (Paperbag Princess, Eliot Jones Midnight Superhero, Bob Geldof, Florence N and Mary S, the children's family heroes, creating their own superheroes etc)
    Space Quest (the first moon landings, life in 1960s including the first stop frame animations like the Clangers - they make a space theme stop frame animation)
    Weird, Wacky and Wonderful (art lead theme looking at Hundertwasser, Kusama, silly poetry, mad maths etc. We make the classroom into an art gallery which is opened to all)
    Amazon Adventure (rainforests, rainforest tribes, deforestation, fair trade etc)
    Island Detectives (islands around the world, kicking off by looking at the Tempest)
    Our local area theme (usually includes a fictious Mantle of the Expert type challenge from local tourist board to help get more tourist into the area. They work as part of the fictious Magic Marketing Company. Lots of independent research, working in groups and then presenting the products they have created to head of tourist board)
    They really do seem to have enjoyed all the themes.

10. This website gives you the links to the phases, badge would be alternative spelling of /j/
    http://www.babcock-education.co.uk/ldp/view_folder.asp?folderid=397&depth=4&rootid=17&level1=&level1id=&level2=391&level2id=391&level3=396&level3id=&level4=397&level4id=397#21

11. This website gives you the links to the phases, badge would be alternative spelling of /j/
    Hi, thanks for this.That's useful. What I was trying to say is that it isn't words on the high frequency word list in the L&S documentation and whilst looking at the list you can think yes, they will have covered the alternative sounds of 'ou' does this really mean they will know that this is the way you spell 'touching'?
    Anyway, I don't want to kick off another of those highly charged phonics debates! Just my point of view on this one.