1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Programming resources

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by rf605, Mar 22, 2016.

1. rf605

rf605 New commenter

Hiya,

Please could anyone recommend any good free online resources for teaching programming in KS1?

Also has anyone used Discovery Coding? I like the look of it but have been asked to look for free alternatives first!

Rachael

2. outy

outy New commenter

I'm not a huge fan of Discovery Coding. Though I was one of the guinea pigs who used it freely for its first year. It's probably a lot better now. I really like using code.org with my KS1 pupils and progressing from there onto Scratch. Then onto Python from Year 5 upwards. All 3 are completely free and theres tonnes of very good resources out there for you to get creative with.

Last week my year 2 class created a star wars version of space invaders. This week we used Makey Makey kits to turn Play-Doh and a banana into a controller for the game. So much fun!

3. outy

outy New commenter

The finished version of the game. Note: My year 2 class made a simpler version, I had too much free time though and decided to add a load of extra features to challenge my KS2 and KS3 pupils.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/91434531/