1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Poetry Unit 3 - Christmas theme can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by henzel, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Hello.
    I'm in my NQT year and have a mixed yr1/2 class. I'm trying to get to grips with planning a unit on poetry. The theme has to be Christmas. I can find plenty of poems and plans if the theme was the seaside or the senses but I can't find anything appropriate on a Christmas theme. I'm working with two other KS1 teachers and have to get the plan prepared by the end of this week so that I can share it with them but I'm really stuck. Can anyone offer any help or suggest where to look?
    Thanks

2. Hello.
    I'm in my NQT year and have a mixed yr1/2 class. I'm trying to get to grips with planning a unit on poetry. The theme has to be Christmas. I can find plenty of poems and plans if the theme was the seaside or the senses but I can't find anything appropriate on a Christmas theme. I'm working with two other KS1 teachers and have to get the plan prepared by the end of this week so that I can share it with them but I'm really stuck. Can anyone offer any help or suggest where to look?
    Thanks

3. "Twas The Night Before Christmas" by Clarke Moore is a great poem...quite long but you can use sections of it, especially the description of Father Christmas!

4. See if you can find a book called 'Read Me Out Loud- A poem to rap,
    chant, whisper or shout every day of the year'. Most of the poems for
    December have a Christmas theme- I've had a quick look and there's at
    least 20.
    I got my copy from The Works for £2.99! [​IMG]

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you nee loads of infil on words and actiong
    recolections of seeing getting,having.....you can use pre made skeleton writing frames
    use christmassy frame outlines, ]I have used with simple rythmic poetry ,open ending writing
    maybe a word pplacement and copy idea for less able.........
    id chose themes based upon thier experience........ chritmas eve,day,presents, toys we loved,family etc

6. Hamiliton Trust have a Christmas poems unit. Not much use to the OP, but maybe to anyone who has stumbled over this thread and needs to know! Also Scholastic have some Christmas poems on their website.