1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 my family history and origins of my family HELP!!

Discussion in 'History' started by beentothefarside, Sep 2, 2011.

1. I've been given my family history and origins of my family to plan for history and geography. i have a year 1 class and apart from the basic ideas i'm really struggling to plan for them.
    For history i've come up with creating basic family trees, family interviews, where parents and grandparents grew up and what it was like in the 'old days', family comic strips, family crests and examining old objects our family's keep in the home.
    For Geography i'm planning to look at the countries the children are from (or family members are from) and find them on maps and create a case study for each country.
    This is my NQT year and im a little worried that these ideas are too basic or wont cover enough time.
    Has anyone got any other ideas i could include?

2. I've been given my family history and origins of my family to plan for history and geography. i have a year 1 class and apart from the basic ideas i'm really struggling to plan for them.
    For history i've come up with creating basic family trees, family interviews, where parents and grandparents grew up and what it was like in the 'old days', family comic strips, family crests and examining old objects our family's keep in the home.
    For Geography i'm planning to look at the countries the children are from (or family members are from) and find them on maps and create a case study for each country.
    This is my NQT year and im a little worried that these ideas are too basic or wont cover enough time.
    Has anyone got any other ideas i could include?

3. It sounds to me like you've got plenty of ideas, so don't worry. You may want to include a trip to your local museum, get parents/grandparents in to talk about school in their day and take them to a local landmark that has been there for generations, e.g. war memorial, church (whose parents got married here? etc).

4. great ideas, thank you :) i also need to plan a trip so this could be the perfect opportunity.

5. in response to the trip idea, the local museum offers school packages but the only one i can find slightly related to my family history is about washing http://www.harlow.gov.uk/pdf/MoH%20Old%20%20Washing%20v1.pdf
    in your opinion is this idea too far fetched for my family history?

6. For Family History a good start is to contact your local Family History Society as they are sure to have lots of information and many very knowledgeable members, many of them also run one day basic and advanced family history courses . Another good start is via the International Genealogical Index. There are a number of good Family History related magazines on sale each month which may give you some ideas - Family History Monthly is very good as each issue contains an index of what has appeared in previous issues.
    Be warned, Family History is highly adictive and if you are afraid of finding skeletons in the cuboards its best not to open them, but having said that most if not all of us have some 'interesting' ancestors'
    Hope this is of help to you.
    rb211