1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Music

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GARDEN24, Jul 5, 2019.

1. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

Can you tell me what you use/recommend as a music scheme for KS1 please or do you think it is not necessary to use one as the NC objectives are quite uncomplicated? Thank you.

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Most schools I know of use Charanga.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I have created my own. I’m a bit of a magpie and if I find a good idea which works, I use it. The Kodaly approach is brilliant for excellent musicianship training and the Jolly Music scheme draws from this approach. I blend it in with a variety of activities but you can follow its highly structured approach lesson by lesson if you wish.

The focus should be encouraging enthusiasm for Music, making it fun with games and activities, laying strong foundations in being able to keep a steady pulse/beat, echo a rhythm and doing lots of (unaccompanied) singing.

digoryvenn likes this.
  4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

We used Music Express. Like most schemes, it was OK in parts. I supplemented it with a lot of my own ideas.

5. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Sing Up is brilliant

6. sparklepig2002

I'll second SingUp too.

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Sing Up was very useful when you could download individual songs - before its funding was cut. I understand it’s now only available by subscription, which is sad.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  8. sparklepig2002

Yes you have to pay, but for what you get, it's well worth it.It is very different from when it first started. Loads of songs, backing tracks, sheet music, teaching tracks, white board words on screen, teaching notes, activities for special needs children, assembly plans, topic plans, teaching videos, training courses, monthly magazine, discussion articles, whole school scheme.

9. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

Thank you all for your opinions and advice.

10. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

I like the child centred approach that Jolly Music seems to offer according to it's website. Is it cheeky to ask for a small snapshot of a lesson to give me a further insight into what it offers PLEASE? Thank you.