1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 maths textbook

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shalinie_ranjan, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Hey,

We're looking into getting some textbooks for Maths in KS1. I've heard of Inspire and Power Maths. Are there any other books out there I should take a look at?

Thanks

2. annie apple

annie apple New commenter

I've used power maths in year 1 and a similar scheme before that and found it wasnt appropriate for the children. They needed practical learning, not working from text books. They also needed to move more slowly than the scheme allowed. The work books were too complicated and poorly laid out for the children to complete. It became an exercise in 'how to fill out the work book', rather than a focus on the learning objective. Year 2 had slightly more success.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why on earth would you want to do anything like that?

1 person likes this.
  4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Would you not consider White Rose?

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

White rose is great but it’s not a textbook. The OP presumably wants a source of questions at an appropriate level for a range of topics, which WR doesn’t give (it basically gives one example question per small step). If you buy their premium resources (which are very reasonable) they give you worksheets though. I’ve looked at these for KS2 and they are good, not sure what KS1 looks like though.

Kartoshka likes this.
  6. patster

patster New commenter

I used powermaths in my last school and found it to be one of the worst books I've come across in 20 years. Very unfriendly - kids need high level of reading to access.

7. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

The maths textbooks bought in large sets for ks1 at my last school were in cupboards, unused by all teachers as they weren't appropriate. There are plenty of good online resources which follow programmes like white rose which give child friendly questions you can use for recording.

1 person likes this.