1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Maths Mental Starters

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by missminx, May 13, 2007.

1. After discoveing that all the 101 Mental Starters Book are all ****... I'd like to share some quick Numeracy Mental Starters for KS1. Hopefully we can get a thread full of our most successful starters. Here goes...

> Bonds Game - Teacher suggests addition sum e.g. 6+4. The total is the chd.'s target i.e. and they must give other bonds to reach that target e.g. 3+7 or 2+2+6... Works a treat!

> Magic Number - Teacher thinks of a magic number e.g. between 1 and 20 in their head and jots it on a post-it. Chd. have 5 questions to ask before they have to guess what number is. Chd. always starts by directly guessing 'is it 11?' However encourage them to ask careful questions such as 'Is it less that 10?'

> To practice number bonds I choose a target number e.g. 9. I devise a grid e.g. 3 boxes x 3 boxes with the numbers 1 to 9 inserted randomly. Then I place post-it's on top of the numbers with the difference between the hidden number and the target no. written on the post-it. Chd. are asked to open all the boxes as fast as they can. So say for a target of nine, the post-it box 5 can be opened if the chd. can answer what 9-4 gives you. Long-winded I know but also works a treat with by Y1's.

Add you're favourite Maths Mental Starters!

2. After discoveing that all the 101 Mental Starters Book are all ****... I'd like to share some quick Numeracy Mental Starters for KS1. Hopefully we can get a thread full of our most successful starters. Here goes...

> Bonds Game - Teacher suggests addition sum e.g. 6+4. The total is the chd.'s target i.e. and they must give other bonds to reach that target e.g. 3+7 or 2+2+6... Works a treat!

> Magic Number - Teacher thinks of a magic number e.g. between 1 and 20 in their head and jots it on a post-it. Chd. have 5 questions to ask before they have to guess what number is. Chd. always starts by directly guessing 'is it 11?' However encourage them to ask careful questions such as 'Is it less that 10?'

> To practice number bonds I choose a target number e.g. 9. I devise a grid e.g. 3 boxes x 3 boxes with the numbers 1 to 9 inserted randomly. Then I place post-it's on top of the numbers with the difference between the hidden number and the target no. written on the post-it. Chd. are asked to open all the boxes as fast as they can. So say for a target of nine, the post-it box 5 can be opened if the chd. can answer what 9-4 gives you. Long-winded I know but also works a treat with by Y1's.

Add you're favourite Maths Mental Starters!

3. 'Counting Sounds' All the children have a number fan, they shut their eyes and have to be quiet! Teacher drops items (small cubes) into a tin/box. The children have to count the sounds in their head, depending on ages, the sounds can represent 1's, 2's, 5's, 10's etc. You can say the sequence starts from a number other than zero. The children then find the answer on the fan and hold them up.

I've used this with Year 1 and they love it, you get lots of cheers when you count the cubes to check the answer!

'Number Hangman' is another good one, just use a sequence of numbers instead of words obviously!

4. Counting Sounds - works a treat dropping coins into a money box. Adapt for Y2/Y3 for counting in 5p's, 10p's...

KEEP THE IDEAS COMING!

5. These all look great! I'm going to use the counting sounds one on Friday with year 1.
    Another starter I'm doing this week is number bonds to 10. Each child is given a card with a number 1-9 on it. When the music starts they need to look for a partner with a number that added to theirs makes 10. You could do this with numbers to 20 as well.