1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Maths (LA) activities

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dancing_blonde, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    I wondered if anyone has some fantastic ideas for independent tasks for very low ability chn in Maths? My lowest group can't read, so unless they have instructions read to them, sheets are a no-go. Which activities do you use for shape? Basic number concepts?
    Thank you!

2. Hi
    I wondered if anyone has some fantastic ideas for independent tasks for very low ability chn in Maths? My lowest group can't read, so unless they have instructions read to them, sheets are a no-go. Which activities do you use for shape? Basic number concepts?
    Thank you!

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I am biased, but I would recommend Numicon and some of the Closing The Gap activities. Covering the board with Numicon pieces is great for independent work with LA children.
    Making domino chains would be useful too, especially if you mix spots and numerals on the dominos.
    Just a couple of quick ideas - I'm sure you will get better ones from others!

4. Thanks, Andrew. I use dominoes for doubles & finding blocks that together make 5, 10, etc. I need to use Numicon more! What sort of activities do people suggest? I will investigate the website too.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you!