1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ks1 literacy interventions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Mar 3, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I have 2 children in my yr2 class with dyslexic tendencies. Phonics just isn't working for them in terms of spelling, and written independently their writing just cannot be understood. I have others where spelling is a problem but it is evident they are at least using their phonics. What can we do for these 2 children? I'm new to yr2 and unsure about interventions.

2. Last year we started doing rapid writing with a group of children similar to ones you mention. It was really designed for KS2, but the booklets start from 1a, so is suitable. Their writing showed good improvement, but we didn't start it early enough in the year so this year we have started it now. It can be delivered by a TA with a group. We were doing the FFT literacy intervention, which was delivered by a TA, but this has to be 1 to 1 and as the children weren't SEN and the time to do this was taken from our general TA hours we felt we couldn't afford the time to do this as it was 15 hours of TA time per week for four children.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My children with 'totally unable to to be read, even by them' writing are not anywhere near a 1a. On a very good day with some support they can make a 1c.

I'd also dearly love to know what to suggest the SENCO sorts out for them. We aren't allowed to set up our own interventions, but the SENCO has provided nothing for either of mine despite them both being SAP.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I use Apples & Pears for spelling and Bear Necessities for reading.
    We also use Lexia but carefully controlled as it has it's own inbuilt faults.

5. If phonics isn't working for them there's a good chance they have auditory problems.

Google 'auditory processing' and 'auditory discrimination' and see what you can find.

You could try Earobics with them.

6. I'm having a similar problem myself. What I find frustrating is that I have a mixed Y1/2 class and I can see the problems when the children are in year 1, but there are very few (if any) interventions out there for that age group/low ability.

7. I have just had a little look at 'earobics'. Not heard of it before. Any one have experience with it?

8. Isn't it a programme designed to improve phoneme discrimination?
    OP doesn't really give enough information. Do these children have any problem with phonics for reading? If they don't t then their phoneme discrimination is possibly OK.
    Are they having problems with segmenting (breaking the word into its component sounds) for spelling or just remembering how the sounds are spelled? These 'problems' would each require different solutions. Though ID's suggestion of Apples & Pears is a good one...

9. Yes, you're right Minnie. I wasn't being very clear there! The FFT literacy intervention is more for your 1c really, whereas the Rapid Writing is more for those who are a bit higher up. Sorry to be confusing. The FFT had good results, but is just tooooooo much time per child per week. I don't know what you would do for the lower ones, we just keeping plugging away with the phonics and now have smaller groups as we are now doing it across the key stage at the same time and this does appear to be having an impact as each group are now much narrow in their leves, so we can focus more on specific parts.

10. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

one has problems with reading, the others' reading is fairly ok. its segmenting the words for spelling which neither can do. they both write letters backwards, and also cant remember how sounds are spelled.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Try Apples and Pears if the school will buy it.