1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 leader/coordinator

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mel22, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hi, from September I will be taking on the role of KS1 leader. We've never had this role in our school before and so I am not really sure what I should be doing.
    I have already made sure that all mid term plans are in place for the autumn term. I will be making sure that assessments are done all classes and collecting the results which I will use to help me plan for intervention groups. I will also be organising visits and visitors to link in with our topics.
    But I was wondering what else I should be doing? I would really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks

2. Hi, from September I will be taking on the role of KS1 leader. We've never had this role in our school before and so I am not really sure what I should be doing.
    I have already made sure that all mid term plans are in place for the autumn term. I will be making sure that assessments are done all classes and collecting the results which I will use to help me plan for intervention groups. I will also be organising visits and visitors to link in with our topics.
    But I was wondering what else I should be doing? I would really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks

3. golf girl

golf girl New commenter

im not sure as Im not a KS1 leader myself but our KS1 leader sorts out timetables for the tas in KS1 and she sorts out any intervention groups for children in KS1.

4. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I was KS1 Phase Leader in my previous 3 form entry school - I did performance management for the teachers in my phase (if they werent in SLT or didnt have a major responsibility) as well as 1 of schools HLTA's. I was responsible for provoiding a list of books/stock my phase needed each year and then distributing it to the phase once it arrived. I co ordinated Christmas play rehersals/sports day for my phase. I informed head of numbers of KS1 SATS papers Yr2 needed, co ordinated SATS tests/cover/internal moderation/support office staff with inputting results. If parents of my phase were not happy with a meeting they had with a class teacher I was next 'port of call' before they saw the head. I was expected to support KS1 teachers with behaviouor issues if they needed more support (in line with behaviour policy). I sorted playground duty rotas. I would chair once a term phase meetings, and would be expected to provide minutes of meeting to head. I was expected to attend SLT meetings once a week. Head would contact me if staff off sick and ask if I could use HLTA for cover if I didnt need her. I was NQT mentor for a teacher in my phase. .....the list could go on!

5. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I'd say one of your biggest jobs will be regularly keeping track of your teams data and looking for children who are slipping through the net and not making progress. Then making a plan of action with the teacher for these children and supporting your colleagues to help these children.
    Also knowing your % on track for 2B and above for year 2 and putting strategies in place for those who look like they won't reach this (early intervention better than worrying near the end of the year).