1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 LA Moderation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misssunshine84, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi there
    After half term the LA are coming in to moderate our KS1 assessment. Getting v worried about it if i'm honest. Worried I've not done enough, or am doing too much. Basically I'm hinking I'm just going to have to spend all half term doing this, making sure its all sorted so I know exactly what to say- its just seems to take forever!
    If you've been moderated before please can you tell me if this is too much/too little...
    For writing:
    Each child has their own individual file of independant writing which has 6 APP assessed pieces in. Each piece has its own APP sheet and my head also wants an assessment commentary underneath the childrens work -not just the highlighted bits on the sheet
    For reading
    Each child has a reading journal(withh highlighted APP sheet in front) with specific reading AF work in for inference deduction etc This sits alongside their reading record which goes home & notes their progress largely in AF1 . We also have group reading books which have evidence on the AFs in.
    For Maths
    Each child has an APP sheet which is dated with cross referenced to all the work we have done in our maths books and any post it evidence fromO/m starters and other in class independant work.
    This is all alongside the results from the SATs which are another piece of evidence to support my judgement
    Thanks for any advice [​IMG]

2. Hi there
    After half term the LA are coming in to moderate our KS1 assessment. Getting v worried about it if i'm honest. Worried I've not done enough, or am doing too much. Basically I'm hinking I'm just going to have to spend all half term doing this, making sure its all sorted so I know exactly what to say- its just seems to take forever!
    If you've been moderated before please can you tell me if this is too much/too little...
    For writing:
    Each child has their own individual file of independant writing which has 6 APP assessed pieces in. Each piece has its own APP sheet and my head also wants an assessment commentary underneath the childrens work -not just the highlighted bits on the sheet
    For reading
    Each child has a reading journal(withh highlighted APP sheet in front) with specific reading AF work in for inference deduction etc This sits alongside their reading record which goes home & notes their progress largely in AF1 . We also have group reading books which have evidence on the AFs in.
    For Maths
    Each child has an APP sheet which is dated with cross referenced to all the work we have done in our maths books and any post it evidence fromO/m starters and other in class independant work.
    This is all alongside the results from the SATs which are another piece of evidence to support my judgement
    Thanks for any advice [​IMG]

3. Will depend on what your la are looking for. We had to have evidence for 2 children in each sub level. The level 3 children needed more evidence than others as we had to show that we were teaching them fron year 3 objectives.

4. I had one of these on Friday (I work on Oxfordshire). One guy from the LA came, and he looked mainly at maths. He wasn't really interested in the SATs, more in the assessment data we held. We showed him APP, tracking, levels, targets and children's workbooks. I also printed out photos of practical maths activities as evidence. He was just looking for evidence that our assessments were correct. He also gave us some very handy tips and advice, and gave 2 kids from each ability group a few maths activities to complete. I found it very interesting and useful.

From what you say you have, I wouldn't worry. You seem to have lots of evidence. Just show them everything you've got and be prepared to back up your judgement.

He made a quick report at the end, which detailed what we were doing and the percentages of levels, and gave us one suggestion (which was to, in the future mark writing with Y3 colleagues)