1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ks1 ICT club ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

As the title suggests I'm looking for fun ideas for my ICT club. I was thinking of getting them to video the school grounds, take pictures to make a promotional film etc. animations. But then I'm stuck for ideas!

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

As the title suggests I'm looking for fun ideas for my ICT club. I was thinking of getting them to video the school grounds, take pictures to make a promotional film etc. animations. But then I'm stuck for ideas!

3. Pivot is a good, free, program to use for making stick-man (and animal etc) animations. It's essentially a frame-by-frame approach, and takes a while to get a good animation going.
    Scratch is another excellent program, used to teach basic programming logic (like LOGO), but is powerful enough to use to build fully interactive games. In KS1, you could definitely use it for making geometric patterns.
    One thing that seems to be popular at the moment is getting the children to start a blog. They could even touch on a bit of HTML formatting if you're feeling super-adventurous.
    How about setting up some sort of challenge scenario, and getting them to work in two groups to solve it using their ICT skills? They could compete over a few weeks, and you could judge the best solution. That depends on how independently they can work on their ICT skills, I suppose.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

sunscorch, did you see that the OP has a KS1 club? HTML formatting? scratch? the last suggestion is also a bit labour intensive.
    I've got a list of Computer Club ideas in my Primary Coordinator's toolkit, many of which will do for KS1 but you might try cameras + photostory or 2 Create (a story), 2Simple 2DIY, using other software off your network that doesn't get much of an airing eg music stuff?, handpicked websites (loads of good ones for Art)

5. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

@becktonboy - could I get a copy of your coordinator's toolkit?

6. I've used Scratch with Year 3, that's not a whole lot of difference from Year 2. I don't think basic HTML is too difficult in the context of short blog writing either.