1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 how much progress?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by snoozy81, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Hi!
    can anyone help me? i've just come back from an assessment update, at the end they mentioned that over ks1 children are supposed to make one level progress - they said thats what ofsted say. My head says it should be 2 levels progress. does anyone know where it says 1 level progress? i have looked on the ofsted website with no luck.

thanks

2. Hi!
    can anyone help me? i've just come back from an assessment update, at the end they mentioned that over ks1 children are supposed to make one level progress - they said thats what ofsted say. My head says it should be 2 levels progress. does anyone know where it says 1 level progress? i have looked on the ofsted website with no luck.

thanks

3. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

It isn't 2 levels progress. That would be lunacy.
    Most children are expected to enter Year 1 at a 1C/1B and 1A is the Nat expectation for end of Year 1, 2B for the end of Year 2. Children are supposed to make about 1.5 strands progress a year (totalling 3 strands or 1 level over 2 years- Key stage 1 is 2 years long.)

2 levels progress would mean that the average child entering year 1 at a 1C/1B would be expected to be an average of a 3C/3B at the end of Year 2. Level 3 is above average so that cannot be right.

4. I've been told it's 2 levels in KS1- 1 sub level per term. So per year= 1 level.

5. I work with a lot of schools and 1 sub level per term certainly is not the national average/ expectations.
    Govt expectations is 2 sub-levels per year as NicoleK mentioned. However, your school may be in a different individual situation be it due to school/ socio-economic or other reasons and perhaps therefore in your case you are looking for more than 2 sub levels per year.

6. At our school we used to have to make 2 sub-levels a year in KS1, until one year lots of the children made 3, so our Head decided that 3 sub-levels would be the average in future. I was in KS2 at the time so didn't take much notice, but now I'm in KS1!! I'm unclear whether she means 3 sub-levels a year or over the 2 years; I daren't ask!!! Looking at my tracker sheets, at the end of this year my year 1s who are a 1b are in the target group, 1a & 2c are average and 2b is above average. I find this quite terrifying, more so because I am teaching the same class next year, we've a hell of a lot of progress to make!
    It's such a shame children are reduced to statistics. We should not have to spend our time worrying about this.
    x

7. Our school says we now have to move them 2 sublevels a year. It used to be 1.5 (3 points) when I started, as this makes average progress from Y1 - 6 (i.e, an average child at end of Year 1 is 1a then at the end of Year 6 is 4b).
    By doing 2 sublevels then Y1 is 1a so Y6 is 5c which I suppose isn't too unealistic as our school is supposed to be in a good catchment area, but the previous poster said 3 sub-levels which would mean 6a at the end of Year 6 - totally ridiculous!!
    anyway, the whole thing is just stupid. As another poster pointed out, children don't make linear progress so a teacher shouldn't be made to feel bad that a child doesn't make the 'average' points progress in a year. They may move 3 sublevels one year but then only 1 the next year. They are human beings, not machines! Many teachers end up elevating their pupils' levels to avoid having to explain why they haven;t made expected progress. I work in Ks1 so haven't experienced working in upper ks2 and being faced with levels which I imagine are often higher than they should be.

8. Our school says 2 sub levels progress in KS1 too. What I want to know is what is the average expectation in points you would expect a child to progress in Reception on the FSP from entry to end of EYFS so that I can work out if the child is progressing at an average, below average or above average rate. How many points would it be? Any ideas? Trying to work out value added for SIP.

9. There is no co-relation between EYFS scale points and National Curriculum levels OFFICIALLY

10. I agree there is no correlation between EYFSP points and NC, however we do know if a child is coming in on age appropriate expectations on the Development Matters (30- 50 and 40 - 60) and we do know if they are working at the end securely within the ELGs if 6+, above the ELGs 8+ and below ELGs. We could therefore be able to say if they were working at age appropriate expectations on entry and left at age appropriate expectations and through that we can see if they made satisfactory, above or below progress? If they started on age appropriate and ended above they have made above satisfactory? What do you think?