1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 History help

Discussion in 'History' started by JCarter1986, Nov 17, 2011.

1. I am a Year 2 teacher and have been given the topic of water. In History I want to look at the Titanic but don't have a lot of ideas as to how I could teach it as part of my History lessons. Any help would be much appriciated. Thank you, JC.

2. Hi JC,

As someone who is interested in the Titanic myself (but not a teacher) may I offer you some ideas?

Some great books that you could consider are 'Titanic Experience - Legend of the Unskinkable Ship' which not only has a lot of information about the ship and it's passengers but also extra resources included from the time (like newspapers, crew lists, menus, telegrams etc) and could be useful.

Also a brilliant book I read a few years ago called 'Titanic: The Ship That Never Sank' by Robin Gardiner is an excellent resource for debate in history. It argues the case that the Titanic was a cover-up to swindle the insurance company for money for another star line ship that sustained damage.

Or you could do a Titanic day where children come dressed as someone from the ship and talk about who they are and what their role was on the ship.

Hope that stimulates some ideas for you! All the best.

Terry Burr from Osiris Educational.