1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 - evidence in books?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, I teach a mixed Year 1 and 2 class and am a NQT. I wonder if I could get your views on how much evidence is necessary in books, especially in Maths? I follow the Abacus scheme and lots of the maths is activity based. I take photos and store them every week on the computer, so my lesson plans and learning objectives could be matched up with the weekly photos. I do NOT print them out, put them in individual books and annotate them. My Year 1s also use mini-whiteboards a lot and again, I do not photocopy these. The only paper trail I have is their actual Abacus exercise books, which are only used once or twice a week. However, I do know at the end of every week, who has met the LOs and who hasn't and keep records of this. I guess my question is, is this enough? The same question goes for Topic work. We do a lot of hands on activities and again I take photos. However, with these I am keeping a whole class book, print out the photos and annotate with LOs - a page for every topic. Again, is this enough? I guess I am taking stock half way through my first year. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Hi BALSE. I also teach y1/2 and although we work in a system that is forever demanding evidence I refuse to spend hours of my time printing out photographs of activities. The children in my class record formally in their books once or twice a week, when they work with either me or the TA in a guided group. We mark the work together. The rest of the time they are doing practical activities and I do not take photos of it. I do keep a record of LOs covered and I do annotate my lesson plans with notes of children who have not met the LO or who have exceeded it and my TA does the same thing. My school has never had a problem with this but I know that some practitioners feel differently about keeping evidence so my best advice is to check with your headteacher if your evidence is enough for the school.

3. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thanks for your reply Coffeecakes. Does anyone else have any advice re. evidence? Thanks.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i do annotations on plans, etc, and not many photos. there's some recording in books, but 1/2 times a week, maybe.
    last year when being moderated, i was seen by a county adviser who needled me all the way through about the way i did things, didn't have enough evidence in books, who questioned the fact that a child had got a SATs question right because he hadn't put any working out so how did i know he knew what he was doing... etc. i nearly walked out! (she even had a go at the type of exercise books we use in school). i complained about all that!
    aaanyway.. the point of that was to say - moderators will be picky about evidence, though they might not be as annoying as that woman was. take your laptop to moderation meetings to show the photos.

5. This is interesting - what do others in KS1 have to do? Are there also people whose children have to record in books every day?
    I am required to have evidence in books for nearly every day for all children (if they play a game on the computer one day in a week it's ok but not much more than this). If they do a practical activity I have to take a photo, print it out, stick it in the book with a date and LO and mark it. I'm also required to get my KS1 class to read my written marking and respond in writing. Apparently this only takes 5 minutes at the beginning of a session!

6. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi Twinkle298, what you are doing is what I have recently been reading about and therefore worrying that I am 'not doing enough'! When you say "I am required..." who is requiring you to? Is it your HT? As I said previously, I am a NQT so am still feeling my way. No one gave me advice in September about this kind of thing, so I went with what I felt was needed in terms of books (for example, I use the same A4 book - half blank page and half lined page for ALL of my Foundation Subjects). No one has looked at my books or what my class has recorded - it's just never come up. So I thought before I asked my Mentor/HT, especially as I am six months down the line, I thought I would try and find out if there is a standard requirement (there doesn't seem to be). How can it be so different from school to school? Meaning that some teachers must spend SO much time doing what you are doing and others, like me, not? Another example, I don't ask my class to write the LO, instead when I mark it I refer to whether it has been achieved or not. Anyone else care to share what they do with regards to written evidence of learning? Thanks.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For maths, nothing like enough according to our AH. Plenty according to the maths consultant!

Writing I try to keep most things, but ought to get it a bit more organised.

Reading evidence terrifies me and I am praying we aren't moderated!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What about speaking and listening?

9. emilystrange

i had my literacy moderated as well, and i took along reading records, guided reading notes, app sheets and mock SATs papers. they were absolutely fine with it.
    when i go through my written marking comments with the kids, i just write 'we talked about these comments' and we both initial it. i don't do photos of everything, it would be a nightmare!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Head in the sand and lots of prayers mainly!

Lots of photos with annotations of what children did, hopefully enough.

11. Msz

I was moderated last year and they wanted evidence for speaking and listening (I had very little other than a couple of videos the class had produced )

12. I'm a Year 2 teacher. I print out all the LOs at the start of the week (a general assistant within school photocopies these and cuts them up so that each child has one). The children then stick them into their books at the start or end of each lesson, date it and do a traffic light/smiley face self assessment next to it. It takes just a minute or two. School doesn't insist on this but I find it helps me (or anyone else looking) to remember which LOs we covered in which order.

13. May I please BLOW UP? Is there anyone on here who has the remedy for an apopleptic colleage? Reading through this thread I have felt all the safety valves and joints start to suffer under an enormous pressure, a sudden, volcanic rush of blood.
    I feel like Rip Van Winkle - did I go to sleep somehwere for fifty years and I've just woken up with the world in the meantime having been invaded by a body-snatching alien life-force that have spirited away teachers and teaching as I knew it before my slumber?
    WHAT IS GOING ON GUYS? WHO is asking for all this evidence, and of what? What is on trial? Who is holding court? What has happened in our society to the essentialy simple and elemental interaction of adults - the elders of the species- with children - the younger of our species- in ways which not only promote their growth and development but entertain, inspire and cultivate their sense of belonging?
    *+"4%&%$*** sorry all my bits are coming apart. I genuinly do not know how we have allowed this monster to grow in our midst. Where were we looking and what did we do? Did it come in as a trojan horse came in? Looking like a gift horse? I mean WHEN did we who are working int he classroom everyday ever vote in anybody to come along and have a learning walk on our behalf? Or to come in and spout nonsense as though they had some god-given right to pronounce on all matters of the classroom and we are supposed to politely listen?
    Why cannot Msz- the oracle of delphi if there was one on here- why can she not just turn on her heel and send such stupidy scurrying from her classroom? How have we elevated such mediocrity and banality to the level of sacred and unchallengeable cant?
    This is not teaching guys, it really isn't. What are we doing? Sticking and annotating, writing LO's, photographing, moderating, assessing, measuring, measuring, measuring, the interminable lengths of the queens emperors fantasy train........... AARRGHH I have to go to class now.. sorry. I just needed to BLOW UP- on behalf of everyone.

14. emilystrange

1. county advisers
    2. county advisers
    3. HTs too weak to say no/bullies
    4. people with nothing better to do
    5. ofsted and/or misinterpretation of what they want
    6. govt for changing goalposts/requirements every 5 mins
    7. moderators who think they're god
    etc etc ad nauseum...
    i wonder if academies do all this ********?

15. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I am a NQT and I truly applaud yohanalicante for her meltdown or blow up! Which takes me back to my original question - WHO insists on this type of evidence being kept? I just need to know that when I am moderated or Ofsted comes in or anything else of this nature, that I am 'doing the right things'. I feel that we work hard enough as it is with all the planning and assessing etc that if things like this written evidence is NOT necessary, then I for one won't be choosing to do it. Any other thoughts?

16. becky70

becky70 New commenter

People who have the power to do so - HTs, SLTs, LEA advisers (although a lot of them will be on the dole soon as more schools become academies). I don't actually know if OFSTED expect it or not but some people do it just in case.
    As you've discovered, it varies from school to school. You need to ask your HT.
    For what it's worth all this talk of evidence makes me feel like we're on trial and guilty until proven innocent.

17. emilystrange

we are. i'm not kidding. gove and the media have already done a good job of trashing our profession. we're the current whipping boys.

18. Msz

actually Yohana I'm lucky to work for a head in a school where we don't waste time getting children to write LOs WALT WILF or any of the other combination in books (don't tell anyone but we don't even write it on our planning which is a tool for the teacher and not War and Peace) but it doesn't stop external influences asking for evidence when they visit ...
    Last week I attended Pie Corbett's conference in York and he very wisely asked if any of us had known our learning objectives as students ... and wasn't it interesting that we had managed to get a degree without the help of WALT and WILF ...

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But then again, imagine a situation where teachers weren't accountable. Where no-one ever did check the amount of learning going on in a class. Hopeless teachers could simply give reasonable levels for their class and no-one would ever know. This would NOT make for a better education system.

A visit, once a year at most, where someone says " show me how you know this is what your children have learned" and you discuss together the work and the levels is hardly a big deal nor the work of the devil.

20. Msz

Does writing a LO on your planning or in the child's book mean they are actually learning it?
    or is your professional knowldge of the child tell you more