1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 days of the week and months - what's the best way to teach this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by spironette, Mar 2, 2009.

1. I'm on placement with year 1 and doing a lesson on months and days later in the week. Can anyone give me a bit of advice on the best way to do this? I have card ordering activities, and rather rubbish one page calendars (all I could find online!) for the more able to fill in, and am going to show them a calendar from home. I wanted to do some singing with them too, but can't find any appropriate songs! if anyone can help (apologies as this is not the first time I've been on here begigng for help!) I would be so grateful! Their teacher wants them to improve their spelling of days of the week, so some writing will be required, but for those who struggle I wonder if ordering cards would be enough? Also, someone told me today that a few short activities are best in maths for the younger ones, as they have shorter concentration spans. Do people find this works? Thanks very much!

2. I'm on placement with year 1 and doing a lesson on months and days later in the week. Can anyone give me a bit of advice on the best way to do this? I have card ordering activities, and rather rubbish one page calendars (all I could find online!) for the more able to fill in, and am going to show them a calendar from home. I wanted to do some singing with them too, but can't find any appropriate songs! if anyone can help (apologies as this is not the first time I've been on here begigng for help!) I would be so grateful! Their teacher wants them to improve their spelling of days of the week, so some writing will be required, but for those who struggle I wonder if ordering cards would be enough? Also, someone told me today that a few short activities are best in maths for the younger ones, as they have shorter concentration spans. Do people find this works? Thanks very much!

3. Try and discuss day/month daily when wrting date in the morning. Make up some songs using tunes you are comfortable with, (Frere Jaques, three blind mice.) Children make paper chains of days/months in order and hang in room. Any jigsaws in school with days/months? Discuss different activities that happen on different days and children draw/write order. Make a birthday chart. Use rhyme - 'Mondays child is ...' Play hopscotch but with days instead of numbers.
    Find day/month cards around the room/outside and bring them in order to you.
    Short activities are generally best- maybe they could rotate around some, with extensions for more able.
    Good Luck!

4. great ideas - thank you!

5. MsKE

MsKE New commenter

I used The Very Hungry Caterpillar - read it, practised days in order, wrote / drew own version - The Very Hungry Child. More able wrote sentences, least able just wrote day of the week and drew food item.

6. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

How about revisting 'The very hungry caterpillar', a story which most KS1 children are familiar with and it helps them learn the days of the week.

7. I think Jasper's beanstalk also has days of the week, and "On Friday, something funny happened" I'm sure there are loads more. If you have the cards they could hold up the right one when you get to that point in the sotyr- although it's a lot to make and organise if you're on placement.

There's a nice song here After I'd learnt it with my class, we sang it without the website and then used the name of whichever child could tell me the next day of the week (if that makes sense) so if X told me the 1st day of the week was monday we would sing "Monday night X had a fright"

8. Sorry, "that point in the story" bad typo!

9. Thanks for the link to the song AnonEMouse ... My class will love it.