1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 Art

Discussion in 'Primary' started by triathlete, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi just a quickie. My class is mixed Y1/2 and although we're supposed to be moving away from QCA, our 2 year rolling programme shows that I am supposed to cover weaving in cycle A. Do I have to? Surely as long as I cover different processes and materials I should have a pretty free rein shouldn't I? I'm doing under the sea and I want to do lots of stuff with shells, pastels and collage, colour mixing etc. Am I right?

2. Hi just a quickie. My class is mixed Y1/2 and although we're supposed to be moving away from QCA, our 2 year rolling programme shows that I am supposed to cover weaving in cycle A. Do I have to? Surely as long as I cover different processes and materials I should have a pretty free rein shouldn't I? I'm doing under the sea and I want to do lots of stuff with shells, pastels and collage, colour mixing etc. Am I right?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I think so. Nowhere in the curriculum does it state that weaving must be done! It's up to the school to select themes and units for each subject.
    However, Weaving sounds lovely for sea work. All those wavy lines, you could weave shells, seaweek etc into their work. But you would need help, it's a very adult intensive activity.
    Good luck and have fun

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I did "seaside" weaving with my Y2 class last term using garden net[​IMG]
    and florists ribbon [​IMG]added a few items we picked up beach combing ...

5. Thanks for the great ideas. [​IMG]

6. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

I did a lovely weaving project on hot and cold colours with my Y1s. I made cylinderrs from large stiff garden fence netting (holes about 2cm square) and after sorting various fabrics, wools & other materials, the children were able to work in groups around the cylinders weaving. The end results were rather like glorious lamp shades and made a fantastic display. The best thing was the way that it physically lent itself to working collaboratively.