1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS 1 & 2 non-fiction close reading, whole class, very mixed ability.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kflynn59, Jan 9, 2020.

1. kflynn59

kflynn59 New commenter

Hi everyone. I am wondering if there is anyone out there with confidence in delivering non-fiction close reading lessons to years 2 or 3. I am a PPA cover teacher, across ks1 and ks2. I plan and prepare resources for a range of lessons for all years and subjects. However this one has me pretty perplexed. Last term I made lots of Viking themed reading resources, using texts from various sources and my own questions. I am proud of those resources to be honest. The lower ability readers went out with the TA however, to complete simpler tasks from a much-used educational resource site (decision of the class teacher). This term, all teachers in the school are to be observed doing close reading with the whole class. The reading levels range from very weak to very competent. Hence my dilemma. Thoughts please...? For non-fiction do most of you take a topic book as a starting point, use online resources or write your own texts? I think copying pages from a book could be breaking some copyright law? Is a half hour session about right (it is at the end of a day!)? I will be very grateful for any constructive advice.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What is 'Close reading' please?

TheOracleAtDelphi likes this.
  3. kflynn59

kflynn59 New commenter

It is a technique for looking at a piece of text very closely.

4. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering that!

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I can't help with your main question as I don't really understand what the lesson is supposed to look like but I'm fairly sure that most schools are covered under the special educational arrangements that you can photocopy a certain percentage or number of pages of a book for educational reasons (there's probably a poster somewhere in your school with the rules although possibly hidden at the back of a resources cupboard somewhere from when it fell down and was put somewhere safe!)

6. kflynn59

kflynn59 New commenter

Thank you!

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

There is a online site which is/was free where once you have registered you can download extracts from real books. I'll check to see if I still have it on my laptop or if I can remember it's name. I used it a lot when I was working.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhh.... so just give them all a magnifying glass and get on with it? ;)

Sorry it's Friday night and I'm (very) nearly pished!

BetterNow likes this.
  10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

The term close reading was new to me - but when I've googled it, it seems to be just another word for the way we all teach text analysis; the way children need to be able to read a text if they are going to achieve GD in the KS2 reading SATS. I wouldn't be re-inventing the wheel - at least not for every lesson! If I needed the text to be about a particular subject, I would create my own, but if the LO was to teach and practise the skills in year 2 or 3, I'd start by looking at old SATS papers (including the old level 3) for non-fiction texts. You might need to add a few more higher-level questions. I still use Reading Explorers, which are available on Amazon. They are available for all year groups and have both fiction and non-fiction texts plus some very good questions - again, you would probably want to add a few more of your own.

11. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I'd start by looking at the features of non-fiction like glossary, index, headings pictures etc. Maybe get them to explore the differences between fiction and non-fiction texts.

I used to get my class to read non-fiction texts, write down questions that could be answered from the text then swap their questions with a partner to answer.

Alternatively you could really structure space for their responses into a table if you want them to focus on particular things e. G vocab choice, retrieval, author choices. You could cross-reference these with the assessment statements.

Have a look on primarytexts.

12. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

Search for reading vipers - my class - big ability range love it. Lots of info online