1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kristian Thomas

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cinnamonsquare, Aug 6, 2012.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Everyone else has their own thread :)

Fantastic first vault. Shame about the second.

Average could still keep him quite high up though?

2. Does anyone know why some of the female gymnasts have a catcher? I noticed it seems to be the smaller/younger girls but can't see why only some of them have a catcher standing by when others don't. I also noticed that the young Chinese gymnast had extensive bruising on her legs, must have had some nasty falls or smacks off the beam/bars!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

To take the fear away.

In other words, they can't complete the move reliably enough to make it safe without someone spotting them!

4. Really? I can't help thinking that maybe they shouldn't be competing at that level if they don't have the confidence to complete the moves safely and independently. But hey what do I know about gymnastics? I'm not sure how much use the catcher would be if they did fall! He'd surely take a massive whack?

5. When they come off the high bar swinging towards the lower the catcher would just be there to deflect them from cannoning into the lower bar. They don't mean to catch them,just to slow them down a bit. If you look most of the catchers put one arm out at about the girl's hip height as she swings down...
    It doesn't reflect on the gymnast as it is considered to be a safety precaution.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

They can break the fall, or on a Tkachev for example, they can make sure the gymnast doesn't hit the low bar.

7. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

No it is a saftey measure on the big moves - nothing to do with reliability as even the most reliable gymnasts in the world are spotted for big skills. But if you miss and fall on your neck from a great height .... (have seen this in competition). The men often have a spotter on High Bar (this afternoon's final) sometimes the spotter also steps in to stop the gymnasts continuing if it is getting dangerous - this was seen at last year's worlds when Danell Leyva's dad stopping him completing high bar after a scary fall and also at the USA's women's trials
    However the spotter needs to be careful - if they touch the gymnast then it is an automatic 0.5 deduction - the Romanian coach has been getting close

8. Ah, thanks for all that info - very interesting! And it makes sense now. So it's no reflection on the gymnasts skills or abilities then.

9. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

There was an example of why a spotter might be needed yesterday in the bars final when the Russian Komova just clipped her foot on the low bar while preparing to dismount - if she had gone straight into dismount as planned she would have risked not having enough momentum and landing on her head - luckily she is experienced and took an extra swing to dismount