1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kohl Rabi

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, May 2, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I had a free packet of these seeds so I chucked them into the garden a little while ago and now they're doing rather well. In fact, its doing very well. It looks like I'm going to have quite a lot of it.
    I don't think I've ever cooked with it or come across it before so what to do with it?...ideas please my lovely cookery TESsers!

2. egyptgirl

I had a free packet of these seeds so I chucked them into the garden a little while ago and now they're doing rather well. In fact, its doing very well. It looks like I'm going to have quite a lot of it.
    I don't think I've ever cooked with it or come across it before so what to do with it?...ideas please my lovely cookery TESsers!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

It cooks in a gratin extremely well - think turnip gratin but with a more brassica edge to it.
    I love it raw, mainly, in a salad, dressed simply with oil and lemon juice.
    I imagine you could make a roulade, a la celeriac with it.
    I love it. Somewhere between turnip and cabbage.

4. Or (Italian, from Friuli region), slices braised in butter and then simmered in a little stock with vinegar and some cumin seeds plus seasoning. Delicious.

5. egyptgirl

More fab ideas - thank you!

6. I had a kohlrabi in my veg box this week.
    I've grated a couple of pieces (raw) and mixed them with joghurt and mustard. This will then be spread onto granary bread and topped with lettuce and a little lean ham for a tasty sandwich!
    I will save some for Sunday - I plan on doing a mini 'bake' as a side dish to my roast...carrots and kohlrabi baked with a little Philly cheese.
    (I love kohlrabi!)