1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Sharing

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by martin_hurst, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Troglodite

Troglodite New commenter

I've started a project at my school. It is about sharing all the knowledge existing at the school. Both explicit and tacit knowledge. Explicit knowledge can be written down and tacit knowledge exists in people's heads. That is to say it tries to collect and harness the knowledge that exists at the school. Partly so we teachers can learn from each other, partly for new teachers in order to give them a shorter start distance. But also to make teaching more fun.

Any thoughts or comments? Is there something similar att your school or have you heard of something like this?

Thanks for your time.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Have you ever been to a teach meet? This is what they are about

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There are some very complex issues with knowledge. In prioritising knowledge you reinforce conscious and unconscious bias. And further, some knowledge is constructed in the classroom. A little like cognitive science, once you get into it you find it is quite complex.
    We are so fixated with knowledge simply because of the examinations. Remove them and we would teach rather differently.
    Nothing wrong with sharing ideas about teaching, but knowledge itself is problematic.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

33 years in the classroom and what I soon learned was that trying to define proven teaching and learning strategies was like trying to nail jelly to a wall. What works for one teacher is a disaster for another or somewhere in between. The interaction between a teacher and the class depends upon a whole number factors, some apparent and others not recognised or even understood by the teacher or pupils. One lesson may go very smoothly with the students attentive and achieving their objectives and yet a similar lesson with the same teacher and similar age and ability students studying the same material may be a riot. I think of it a bit like the butterfly effect - a number of small incidents occurring in a classroom, even if each seems insignificant at the time, can later combine to set the whole atmosphere and conduct of future lessons for good or ill.

A class of students contains up to or exceeds 30 individuals including the teacher each having outside concerns, hormone levels, issues with friends, family pressures or personality differences and so where do you start recording any 'knowledge' regarding these amalgams of humanity? Like many teachers I adapted to each class I taught, bending this way to keep the easily bored and inattentive on task while bending the other to stretch the very keen and diligent and generally weaving a way through behavioural issues to ensure all the students got a worthwhile experience in my lessons. How I did it I don't know, it is just one of those innate and undefinable things about being a teacher.

sbkrobson and agathamorse like this.
  5. Troglodite

Troglodite New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies. Much appreciated.

6. Troglodite

Troglodite New commenter

Great, thank you. I will check it out.