1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Organisers

Discussion in 'Science' started by particlezoo, Jun 17, 2019.

1. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

Dear All

I'm wondering what experiences (good or bad) people have had with knowledge organisers. My school has asked us to implement them for September and I'm looking for advice so we get it right the first time.

Many Thanks

Zoo

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Never heard of them! Do you mean exercise books?

3. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Might know them as placemats (blank versions) cheat sheets for completed versions given by teachers to students.

4. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

Cheat sheet/placemat is probably the best description, it's supposed to be the key information that a student would learn in a period of time e.g. half a term but more condensed than a revision guide. I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't know what they were!

5. swebby

swebby New commenter

Has been around a while but now seems all the rage with the cognitive learning brigade. Personally we try to make them as simple as possible so students will actually read them, rather than full of text which are key to some examples we have been given.

6. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

We've tried several incarnations of ones for things like writing a report. I think other subjects do well with them, not had that much luck in Science. There's way too much to fit knowledge wise and even the basics for an evaluation is fun trying! The Daydream posters / poster books were always tempting to try though if they are the sort of thing but never tried it myself, just pondered it!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Thanks. Yes I have seen them and sometimes used them. However they are like a lot of revision stuff. Kids that will use them don't need them. Kids that need them won't use them. I often would just hand out a list of bullet points at the end of a topic as a guide/reminder of what they need to revise.

8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

PSION.jpg I still have a Psion Organizer - still in good working order because I never got around to using it to organize anything.

particlezoo likes this.