1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge organisers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by defenceagainstthedarkarts, Apr 20, 2019.

1. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

Are these the new APP nonsense? Everywhere I turn I seem to see one.

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

They have a long history in research dating back to the 50s, so far from new!

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They're fine - what's the problem.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Crib-sheets masquerading as textbooks.

5. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I think they can't be useful - when they are blanked out with just headings, and the students have to fill them in themselves. Otherwise it's just a condensed text book, no thinking required

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

The basic idea behind a knowledge organiser is that the essential facts needed in a topic are placed together in a single place. It should be a distilled version of a textbook. Whilst I don't use them with all my classes, they are very useful for less able students when they are trying to revise.

MissGeorgi and agathamorse like this.
  7. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

They are fantastic for SEND pupils, particularly those with MLD/SLD who simply cannot retain and process too much information and for pupils with ASD who find it difficult to identify the key points in a mass of information. I use them for all pupils as GirlGremlin suggests and turn them into Cloze exercises to help them get started on revision.

The problems arise when someone other than the subject teachers starts to dictate exactly what should be contained in the knowledge organiser and how they should be used regardless of the needs of the pupils.

agathamorse and GirlGremlin like this.
  8. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Yes, very true. Alternatively, another problem is when instead of thinking about what information is best for the students in front of them, departments download lots from the internet and think that'll solve their problems without considering if it's appropriate.

agathamorse and carterkit like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I’ve never heard of it, so it must be rubbish...

BelleDuJour and agathamorse like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm soooo pleased you posted this. I've never heard of them either.

BelleDuJour, agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  11. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I gave my Year 11s some I found online, in a last ditch attempt that they may revise after all...

12. drek

drek Lead commenter

They usually end up as copied and pasted bits of well known published revision guides and online resources.

Rather poor black and white versions slogged over in non contact time by someone in the department aiming for the next leadership rung.

Probably not paid. Schools have been very obviously pointed in this direction in the hopes of meeting new ofsted regs.

Possibly at a one day aspiring middle leader course on 'what do ofsted want to see' run by an ofsted know it all (dubious title of consultant attached) at a small cost of 500 pounds for half a day with biscuits and tea provided......

Hours could have been saved by simply using web resources that the school probably has a purchased licence for......

Which is now shelved and an unnecessary waste of money so that teachers can help their aspiring middle leader evidence their role.......

Inefficient and unproductive but hey ho thats how our system runs...

All for one....and then another one and then...another one.....endlessly

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Like most things, if they are used badly or lazily as a gimmick by teachers they will have little effect.

Use them regularly over time, and allow your high prior attainers to develop their own, and they can be an effective tool.

agathamorse and purplecarrot like this.
  14. drek

drek Lead commenter

The key is in the phrases teachers and like most things.........
    Change teachers to students and student progress will increase.
    Lots of parents buy a plethora of well produced revision guides, tutoring etc....
    Unless the student themsrlves puts in the practice and repeat work, nothing will stick.......

GirlGremlin likes this.
  15. drek

drek Lead commenter

No amount of work by teachers nor a plethora of handmade handbooks will improve student progress beyond a certain point.
    Whether its learning a musical instrument, new language, maths etc....
    Consistent hard work .....practice repeat practice.......by the student however....
    .............and the difference is amazing......

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just a fancy name for revision notes.
    Everything in education has to have a fancy name now or an acronym.

17. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I found they can be useful as a change of activity when for some pupils when revising. They have been around for some time.

Jamvic likes this.