1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge and understanding of Powerpoint

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Jessy1234, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Jessy1234

Jessy1234 New commenter

I have just started a six week trial as an IT support tutor. At the moment I have been asked to create a lesson plan for week six. At the moment this plan requires students to search for tickets using bing and google images. In small groups they need to choose one of the researched tickets and state why they have chosen it.

Students should put thier answers in a power point presentation. Will the students be able to use PowerPoint or shall I have to include instructions how to make a presentation in Powerpoint.

The session last for two hours. I am also planning to talk about important data on tickets to give them an idea

2. Jessy1234

Jessy1234 New commenter

I have just started a six week trial as an IT support tutor. At the moment I have been asked to create a lesson plan for week six. At the moment this plan requires students to search for tickets using bing and google images. In small groups they need to choose one of the researched tickets and state why they have chosen it.

Students should put thier answers in a power point presentation. Will the students be able to use PowerPoint or shall I have to include instructions how to make a presentation in Powerpoint.

The session last for two hours. I am also planning to talk about important data on tickets to give them an idea

3. Who is the lesson for - Y1? Y12? Are they statemented, special school, mainstream school?

Out of interest, why PowerPoint? Is it because the work needs to be presented in a manner for which PowerPoint is the best tool (i.e. in front of an audience and on a large screen, typically) or would it be better to do this in the form of a report, a website...? I don't mean to be a miserable git (I don't *mean* to ;-p) but PowerPoint is often used as a simple, default application without any thought as to its suitability. I appreciate that the software choice / delivery method is probably not your main learning objective, but then neither is spelling and you would generally correct obvious errors there...

4. Jessy1234

Jessy1234 New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Thank you for pointing out the mistake, the main reason for
    working in a group and presenting in PowerPoint is to share and exchange
    knowledge and understanding why they chose a particular ticket, IE Through
    colour, text, and layout.

When they are asked to create a ticket, they can create one based on layout,
    graphics, text and clear information.

5. Jessy1234

Jessy1234 New commenter

Thank you for pointing out the mistake, the main reason for working in a group and presenting in PowerPoint is to share and exchange knowledge and understanding why they chose a particular ticket, IE Through colour, text, and layout.

When they are asked to create a ticket, they can create one based on layout, graphics, text and clear information.

6. In order to answer your initial question, we need some idea of your intended audience. If they are over the age of 13 and don't go to a school which uses only Apple Macs, I would have thought it fairly likely they have used PowerPoint before. However the best way to find out for certain would be to ask the school. Is there any reason why you can't do this?