1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge and understanding inspiration.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Aedidds, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hi guys!

NQT reception teacher here. I'm looking for some inspiration in KUW. I will be working in an open plan classroom which is one of three classroom. Each classroom is split; literacy, numeracy and KUW. My classroom will be the knowledge and understanding/creative room. I've began to set up my room but I am worried it doesn't look very inspiring. When I think of KUW I think of investigation and exploring but I'm worried my room just doesn't convey that. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could set out my room or what I could include in it?

It's a fairly sizeable room and at the minute I only really have a home corner (which doesn't look very exciting) and a couple of tables which I have been told will just be used for the activities that will be going on in the room. I don't have to worry about a book corner or numeracy area, writing area anything like that as it's all in the other two rooms, my room only has to have k and u things in it.

So yer any ideas welcome. I'm sure I'm just worrying unnecessarily but as it's my first classroom I want to make it look great and the team have already told me the KUW room and planning needs more zest.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. You could look at setting up an ICT, Small world and Construction area within your room as they all come into K&U.
    Also to develop creativity you could place clipbords in each area or a writting to go box to help them plan and develop their own learning, what they write down or draw is also great for backing up observations you take on them.
    If you dont have a computer for the children to use look at alternative ICT such as cameras, remote controle cars, bee bots and voice recorders ect.

4. I would have an investigation station and link it in to your topic, you could have builders trays. And role play linked into what you are doing will support KUW with ICT bits inthere e.g. tills and i would still have maths and writing opps.
    A big area for designing and making and construction