1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

knowledge and understanding autumn lesson

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lazydaisyflower, Nov 2, 2011.

1. youtube have lots of clips, you could download them using real player. Does it have to be corn ? I would do growing in the spring time. This time of year is more autumn leaves or conkers or hedgehogs (we found one trying to hide in the leaves outside our room !) How about fireworks ? If you have 2paint it is really easy for the children to make fab pictures using the splash feature.

2. estherbrace

estherbrace New commenter

it gas to be beased on autumn becuase we need to keep it within our sub topic which for me is autumn :/ and i need to use IT do you know of any autumnal things that grow??

3. Autumn is more harvest than growth and even that has gone past now! But maybe you could use the story of the little red hen to look at the growth of wheat culminating in harvesting it, grinding it and making bread. There are lots of possibles there for activities, and you could probably find some appropriate IT stuff.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Esther, use your eyes and nose and memory and think what autumn meant to you when you were little. Think of the fun that is to be had by a little child when the leaves are swirling and the conkers falling. Think of the beautiful colours and the animals that are working hard to make their cosy winter nests with their larders full of nuts...
    Forget the growing thing, unless you have a thing about mushrooms. Use your instincts. What does autumn mean to you?

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Have you been told that you need to think of autumn in terms of things that grow?

7. How about taking them on a 'signs of Autumn' walk, discuss all the things that are different around the school now and why the leaves are falling off the trees etc. Use scavenger bags to collect things or give them a piece of card cut into a leaf shape with sticky back plastic on and get them to stick colours ofAutumn onto it. As they are doing this get the children to take photos of the signs of Autumn or video it and there is your ICT. Then when you get back to the class work with a small group of children to put all the photos onto the IWBas a story and then the children record their comments about each picture onto the computer or print out and write captions.
    I personally would forget Harvest that has been and gone

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I think that the idea of using a camera to look for signs of Autumn is a really good one.
    If you want to be more classroom based, then how about control technology? You could use a squirrel puppet/cuddly toy and a programmable toy such as a beebot. Then scatter a few acorns around and see if the children can programme the beebot to reach the acorns, and they can help the beebot to collect the acorns for the squirrel.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you have a digital microscope and an IWB you can also look at your finds on the screen

10. Ooooh i like the microscope idea the children would be really motivated by that one and using a beebot is a great idea as well could you print out your photos then make the beebot move to the pictures in the order that you found them as a map?