1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knowing when to leave or stay

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by catdog74, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a new teacher, partway through a two and a half term contract on a year 5/6. Struggling in a big way as I think I am more suited to teaching the littlies. Every day is a challenge and I really struggle with behaviour mangement. Sometimes I go fine, and have had some great lessons, but the real issues always arise when my team- teacher isn't around and I am left with over 50 students ( both classes- we do a lot of team teaching), who obviously (well at least some of them, but it feels like most of them) have little respect for me. I did a lot of supply teaching on this class and the other team- teacher's class before begining this. I am sytruggling- it is my first contract and my first year and I think I might prefer to return to casual. I have considered doing something else entirely. The workload is enormous- I seem to spend evry night and most of the weekend working. I am tense all the time and have a lot of trouble sleeping as I feel so worried. I have an option to leave at the end of five weeks, but I am so unsure..should I try to stick it out and hope I grow into it, or accept that I don't like or suit this age group/school and leave while I can? I do feel bad for the school as it would mean more staffing changes if I did leave ( there have already been a few). The school has a lot of really challenging kids, which i find very difficult to manage. I do tend to take everything a bit too personally and am feeling quite shell-shocked at the huge workload that teachers have.. all this eats into any time I have with my family of three kids and we could survive without the income. Advice is welcome- when do you know to draw the line? Is my personality not suited to teaching, or do I just need to get on with it and grow through it? Is it better for the school if I let them know I am considering leaving? How much notice would I need to give.. and what effect will this have on future work... most staff at this school are supportive , but that could change if I leave.. not sure if this would be something I could come to regret. As you can see, I am in turmoil! Any advice welcome, thanks!

2. I've resigned early from a two and a half term post covering maternity
    leave. I've been working every night and most of the weekend but my head is
    still insisting that I'm not meeting the standards and has issued a
    cause for concern. I've decided to leave now and try and find a school with more reasonable expectations but I know this could be hard if the head at my current school writes me a poor reference. I have had some support from the school but it always ends with a lengthy and critical appraisal of my performance which in effect means I've lost all self confidence. No one can teach with low self confidence.
    If your school is unwilling to do more to support you I would start to look for another post. There may be things about your teaching you can improve but that's true of everyone. Being left with over 50 children doesn't sound like you're being treated fairly so it's probably not you that's at fault.

3. Have you tried talking through your problems with the school? It might be worth seeing if some things can be improved before you make a decision to leave? Being in sole charge of 50 children sounds far from ideal! You could make a stand and that unless some things are rectified, then you are considering leaving after the 5 weeks. If they have already had a high staff turnover, then something at the school may be wrong and need fixing...but if no one shouts about it, it will just go on.
    It sounds like it is the school and not teaching on the whole which is leaving your flustered!

4. Before making a rash decision, speak to your mentor in school and at the local authority. Classes of 50 are beyond the pale.

5. Hi, thanks for the advice.. still a bit uncertain but things have improved. I am clearer about what I need to work on to improve my behaviour management, and I have spoken to the head who is really understanding and would let me go with his blessing if it came to that. As for the large group- I have a strategy in place to get help from another teacher if this occurs again.. it has only happened a few times. Hopefully it works out, other wise, back to supply... and less stress!
    Thanks for the advice again.