1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knowing other posters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I have posted on here for a number of years and enjoy reading other peoples comments. I have many friends, relatives and colleagues past and present who are teachers, but I have never recognised any of them on here. I'm sure fromm what I write, people who know me could work out who I am, but no one ever has said so. So do you know other people on here? Have you ever guessed who someone is?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

The only posters I know are the lovely people I met at the TES awards last year. Haven't spotted anyone I know apart from this.

3. I've never guessed who anyone is, as I don't live in the UK... however I did meet a couple of lovely posters when I came home for Christmas, and that was brilliant!

4. I know one person I met via interview. I'm not sure if anyone has worked out who I am, if they know me in the real world.

5. Oh it's YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No - not really - I have no idea :¬)
    But I'm pretty sure a good few people know who I am - or is it paranoia?
    OOooo now there's a thought - a new way into mental illness - being so worried that you've given yourself away that you develop an anxiety about it - that becomes a neurosis - that develops into a psychosis....
    Hmmm - think it may be happenning even as we speak
    *wrings hands,chews collar in anxious twitch*

6. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I only know one, from a previous school which I feel a bit guilty about as I used her computer to print something and she was logged in here.
    I do get paranoid I am hugely recognisable and my username is stupid anyway but I can't be bothered to change it!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've met 10 or so at various Brum meets. I know my HoD posts on here (and he knows I do too) we know each other's usernames so can see what each other posts. I don't think he posts but I think my HT lurks on here. I'm pretty sure he could work out who blazer is.

8. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I met a few of the posters quite a few years ago at a Manchester meet! It was very interesting and we had a good fun night out. Not sure anyone would remember me now.

9. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I don't know anyone on here, but was spotted by a collegue, by something I posted! Luckily it was nothing too negative!

10. I recognised one of my colleagues instantly, due to the nature of her post a while ago! [​IMG]

11. I have recognised two people and it has made me more paranoid about what I post on here...

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In retrospect my username is too recognisable, but I wouldn't put anything derogatory about my school on here.

13. A colleague whom I've worked with closely recognised me from stuff I said. It wasn't anything bad but it did serve as a reminder that you can "give yourself away" if you aren't careful.

I also spotted another colleague on here - their name is almost their real name as well and the person admitted they were obviously them from name and what they posted.

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I have no colleagues, I am identifiable but inviolate, a self employed builder has nothing to fear on an education site. (Except too much work.) I probably have the phone number of less than half a dozen other posters.

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

A few people have recognised me from my contributions on the subject forums, but they're harmless.

16. I don't know if anyone's recognised me or not and wouldn't be too worried if they did. I've met a few posters who used to post here years ago (they are lovely) and spoken to a good number on the phone but, again, posters who used to post ages ago and have moved on. I have made two of the best friends I've ever had through that.

17. I have recognised someone dumb enough to post detailed information their career, their personal life and a host of other stuff. Beware of online boasting. It will come back to bite you on the bum.
    On another forum, someone I've worked with posted a link which showed them logged into that page under their real name. [​IMG]

18. Surely, only if someone were malicious enough to do something with that information?

19. I'm not sure why people would want to be anonymous on this site - it's almost like the Facebook for teachers.
    I use my real name on Facebook and I use my real name on here.
    I've nothing to hide, I don't intend on making rude or derogatory remarks about my school, my colleagues or about anyone on here.
    What exactly do you feel you'd be giving away by letting people know who you are? It seems a little nit sinister to me....

20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The whole point is the anonymity. Especially if you wish to tell home truths about life, your employers, or make political comments. You are entitled to your own opinions, but why run the risk with the British equivalent of Gestapo watching.