1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Know anything about common entrance exams????? (For Independant prep interview)

Discussion in 'English' started by msv, May 14, 2010.

1. msv

msv New commenter

Hi all,
    i've an interview coming up in an independant prep school that prepares students for common entrance 13+ exams. I've been told to keep that in mind when planning a lesson for them. The topic of the lesson is entirely up to me. It is to last 35 minutes!

Any suggestions?
    Any kind of help would be much appreciated! Thank you ;)

2. Have a look at the English syllabus - If the link below doesn't work just Google: common entrance english.
    www.iseb.co.uk/PDF/Syllabus_CE_English
    What about revision style lesson on writing a book review - you can bet they have already done millions of these so won't need to be taught the technique. Focus on fine tuning and the use of specific techniques the examiner will want to see - especially how to avoid simply retelling the story. Perhaps you can give them three examples - one truly awful, one ok and one top notch for them to correct and improve, maybe look at the mark scheme with them, so they can self evaluate.

3. msv

msv New commenter

Thank you SO much!! That's such a huge help. Do you work in an independant prep?
    These students will be Year 5- just not so sure what they have and have not yet covered!

4. I can help - I taught the syllabus for several years to pupils who then went on to some pretty top notch schools such as Eton and Harrow. They will be very bright, so pitch the lesson as if you were teaching a year or two older. The exam is in three sections: 1) pupils are asked to write an essay on a book they have read (it will be one that they are taught in school; most schools seem to opt for Private Peaceful); 2) they do some creative writing on one of a choice of topics provided in the exam; 3) they answer some comprehension questions on an unseen extract.

For an interview, the book essay is out as you won't know which book they are doing. I'm not sure a book review is a good idea for an interview (sorry CKKendall) , as they don't need to learn to 'write to review' for the exam, and a review which is mainly a plot synopsis won't really be revision as it's too different to what the exam tests them on (the children are expected to focus on as aspect of the text such as 'relationships' in the exam. They will already know the exam focus and their teacher will have been teaching the book with this one theme in mind). I would go for a creative writing task , but focus on an ASPECT of creative writing - e.g. characterisation or developing setting. Yes, creative writing, definitely. And sorry, my pc won't paragraph.

5. Ah. Just read your other post and you say they are year 5. Year 5 will not be doing the same CO exam - it's the 11+ but you said the school are doing the 13+. The 13+ is taught in years 7&8. However, my advice to do the creative writing is the same: the children will do the comprehension and creative writing section I mentioned above, but no extended book essay.

6. I don't work in a prep school but my son spent a few years attending one (before leaving in disgrace - but that's another story!). Something else which occurs to me is that most preps prepare for entrance at 11+ and 13+ but I think the Year 5's who are going for 11+ would be in a fast track class by now. It might be worth checking this with the school in advance - I don't think that would be an unreasonable question. There is a TES forum you could post more detailed questions on - look at Stages - Independent. I imagine there would be folks on there that can help.

7. One last thing - and I am so loathe to do this and seem like a pedantic **** - but it's independEnt - you really don't want to get that wrong in front of anyone from the school!

8. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd New commenter

She's probably become independent!

9. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I had exactly the same reaction when I saw ""independant". However, sorry to be a pedantic **** myself but "loathe" is a verb - you need loath or loth as the adjective. [​IMG]

10. You are quite right! And pronounced differently too, I understand. Brain not in gear!