1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Know any squalid, 'illegal', schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hmmm... interesting.

Number of ways of coming at this for me...

1. Illegal schools? Interesting phrase... I guess I can see how it could be so but really?

2. Ah it's a stick to beat on Local Authorities.

3. Illegal appears to be it lies outside the remit of Ofsted... Ofsted is great, Ofsted is all powerful!

4. Ah, they are unsafe... but if they fall under Ofsted then they will be safe, Ofsted is all-protecting.

5. Really I'm not too surprised. If I was a parent [I'm not] I'd not be keen for my child to go close to a school Ofsted had any say over. I'd want my child to have an actual education.

Then again, maybe I'm too anti-Ofsted and I'm missing something vital... tough one for me.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'm always surprised at the way segregation by sex is spoken of as though children were being caged.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Have any of you had anything to do with the so-called 'alternative provisions' that excluded children can be sent to? Our foster daughter went to two. The first was ok, the building was nice, if small, and the staff were nice if ineffective. She was excluded from there and the next place they sent her operated from two rooms at the top of a community centre. Squalid would just about cover it. There was nothing on the walls, the kitchen was full of boxes and the toilets were shared with the other users of the community centre. The only furniture was a few tables and chairs, and a football table. There was no education. The children were sent work from their originating schools which was then sent back to the schools to be marked.

I was appalled, but this 'provision' was inspected by someone and declared acceptable for these most vulnerable and needy children.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The school I started my career at was pretty squalid and illegal

Certainly it was criminal that anybody had to work there.

cissy3 likes this.
  6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Doitforfree You make a good point there.
    I worked briefly at a private 'Training Provider' (I have had so many s hit jobs, I could write a book!)

This was considered 'Good with outstanding features' by Ofsted, but was run from a factory buiding on an industrial estate, and was far from salubrious. The kids went off to the nearest McDs if they wanted to go to the loo!

They offered all sorts of spurious qualifications, and catered regularly for groups of miscreants from local schools. 'Joke' doesn't even cover it.

lanokia likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In my old role I had a pastoral role... and this did involve a few visits as part of exclusion processes to look places over.

And yeah, they weren't exactly salubrious. I remember asking 'why don't you paint the breeze blocks, make it bit brighter?' ... response... 'they smear **** on them'... ah....

cissy3 likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ah.......Bobby Sand's old place then.

lanokia and cissy3 like this.