1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Know any collections of Starters?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by PaulDG, Nov 4, 2011.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Anyone know of a good, large, set of maths "starters" - I'm thinking single topic mini-worksheets?
    I don't want to go into too much detail about why but essentially, in my current school one of the best ways we have to get start of lesson behaviour right is to have the kids enter the room as soon as any turn up (we cannot get behaviour sorted before they come into the room) and working individually on a small worksheet.
    Producing those mini worksheets is becomming a bit of a load now and if there are any good collections of, well the sort of things that are in 10QQ, but in printable form that are ideally free, would someone please point me at them.
    We'd also consider buying something commercial if it looked like it would help.
    Thanks.

2. PaulDG

Anyone know of a good, large, set of maths "starters" - I'm thinking single topic mini-worksheets?
    I don't want to go into too much detail about why but essentially, in my current school one of the best ways we have to get start of lesson behaviour right is to have the kids enter the room as soon as any turn up (we cannot get behaviour sorted before they come into the room) and working individually on a small worksheet.
    Producing those mini worksheets is becomming a bit of a load now and if there are any good collections of, well the sort of things that are in 10QQ, but in printable form that are ideally free, would someone please point me at them.
    We'd also consider buying something commercial if it looked like it would help.
    Thanks.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Why not? If you insist on orderly behaviour before they enter the room ( including lining them up in silence outside the room if it is required ) then that will already put them into a receptive position. It will take time, but the investment will pay off in the long run.

4. what age and ability? basic practise, or problem solving?

5. PaulDG

Sorry, this is Secondary, KS3 & 4. Basic practice mostly.

6. PaulDG

This is a school offering significant levels of "challenge". Unfortunately having them lined up in silence is simply not an option.

7. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I'm not sure about the 'single topic mini worksheets' but is there anything in these collections that might help?

8. For KS4, how about using the sheets for GCSE Revision from CIMT?
    available at foundation, intermediate and higher - could tide you over for a bit
    http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/gcsemat/gcsemenu.htm
    Alternatively, the Edexcel modular exam has one unit as multiple choice and I'm sure pages of sample questions were available by topic somewhere. If this would be of interest I'll hunt out my copy or find a link for you.
    If you wanted mixed questions the quickies HW sheets from Graham Cumming at Edexcel would be a good start (about 20 sheets so 4 weeks!)
    Good Luck.

9. The transum starter of the day are good and some of the can be printed!